Question for Backyard

On my 96 Taurus, Which hose from the waterpump is the source hose for the heater core? Also, to check for a bad water pump, the source hose should be hot, but
the return hose will be cold. Is this correct? Is there some way to remove a hose and look into the pump with a light to see if the impellers are damaged?
Thanks in Advance Steve

The source to any heater is from top of engine block (intake Manifold), adjacent to, but not affected by, thermostat - unless it's always open or opens too soon but that shows on your temp gage-.. the water pump should 'pull' to re-circulate the water.
If the return hose to pump is cold but heater putting out little heat, almost certain water pump failure.. as witnessed by two users here, same time a few weeks ago.
The vulcan seems an odd duck, this also shows often as overheat at idle but working okay at speed or the other way round. A round disk can act as a pump, btw. .. someone needs to build a complete FAQ on the dessication factor (it apparently is not corrosion) on these pumps.
you pay..DEAL with it!

What a waste of talent knowing all this about Factory Ordered Road Disasters.
more useful info from the new rectal orifice