question: "Oil Life %" computer

anyone know what parameters the System Check on my Five Hundred uses to determine remaining oil life?
I assumed it was just mileage, but: Ford says change oil at 5000 mile
intervals. I change at 3000 miles and don't drive it much....it's now 4 months since changed and has been driven 2100 miles. But system check sez 6% oil life left.
Have reread the manual and there isn't much info.....it does say that the system will tell me when I reach 10% life, and some sort of warning at 5%. That's never happened.
So, how does it compute 5%. And, Yes, I manually reset when oil is changed and it starts at 100%.
Just curious, Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 25, 9:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Itsfrom Click) wrote:

Here's a couple of links explaing how the GM system works, I'm sure Ford's system would be similar,
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,52013.0.html
http://vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/2005-July/028037.html
Add pictures here
✖
oil life gauges are a joke. not dependable at all. just another gimmick to make the car buyer think they got another valuable "extra".

Add pictures here
✖

There is definitely an advantage to the oil life monitors. If nothing else they remind people who routinely forget to change their oil to do so. And, in the case of the GM system they are trying to encourage people to change their oil at more reasonable intervals, instead of the Jiffy Lube preferred 3000 mile oil change. I had a Saturn Vue with the GM system and it seemed to work very well. It indicated very long oil change intervals. They were much longer than I was used to. This worried me, so I sent off a sample for analysis. It came back as being good for thousand more miles. I never questioned the oil life gauge again.
Ed
Add pictures here
✖

is set for 10,000.
Who do I believe?
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

The oil life monitor in your car is just a "dumb" mileage / days counter. It does not reduce the life based on other factors like the GM system does. As long as you are operating under normal conditions, then I'd change it based on the monitor. If you are operating the vehicle in extrenme conditions, then I'd go for a shorter interval. But don't listen to the Jiffy Lube crap - normal city driving is not an extreme condition. Ford spells ou extreme conditions very specifically. The following is from the Ford maintenance Schedule:
Determine which maintenance schedule to follow It's important to follow the maintenance schedule that most closely mirrors your driving habits and the conditions under which you drive. For this reason, the Scheduled Maintenance Guide is divided into two basic maintenance schedules: the Normal Schedule (further segmented into Trucks, Fullsize Vans & SUVs and Cars & CUVs) and Special Operating Conditions Determining which maintenance schedule is right for you is easy. For the most part, do you drive your Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle under typical, everyday conditions? If so, follow the Normal Schedule Trucks, Fullsize Vans & SUVs, or Normal Schedule Cars & CUVs. Special Operating Conditions However, if one of the Special Operating Conditions outlined below better describes how you typically operate your vehicle, you will need to perform some maintenance services more often than the Normal Schedule calls for. . Towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads . Extensive idling and/or driving at low-speeds for long distances . Driving in dusty conditions . Off-road operation . Use of E85 fuel 50% of the time or greater (flex fuel vehicles only) Important: For further details and information regarding these Special Operating Conditions see page 42. Maximum Oil Change Interval ? Normal Schedule: 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first. ? Special Operating Conditions: 5,000 miles, 6 months, or 200 hours of engine operation, whichever occurs first see appropriate schedule on page 42.
Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier - Every 5,000 miles Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure tread depth - Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise - Every 5,000 miles or 6 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter - Inspect and lubricate U-joints - Every 30,000 miles Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (not required on 6R60/6R75/TorqShift transmissions) - Replace wheel bearing grease and grease seals on 4x2 wheel bearings (if non-sealed bearings) - Every 60,000 miles Change transfer case fluid - As required Change manual transmission fluid - Inspect and lubricate U-joints
Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery - Every 5,000 miles Inspect brake system - Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure tread depth - Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise - Lubricate control arm and steering ball joints (if equipped with zerk fittings) - Every 5,000 miles or 6 months Inspect and lubricate U-joints - Every 5,000 miles, 6 months or 200 hours of engine operation Change engine oil and replace oil filter - Every 15,000 miles Replace fuel filter (except Edge, Fusion, Milan, MKX, MKZ, Sable, Taurus and Taurus X) - Every 30,000 miles Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (not required on 6R60/6R75/TorqShift transmissions) - Replace wheel bearing grease and grease seals on 4x2 wheel bearings (if non-sealed bearings) - Every 60,000 miles Replace spark plugs - Change transfer case fluid - As required Replace cabin air filter
Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads Every 5,000 miles Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure tread depth - Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise - Every 5,000 miles or 6 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter - Inspect and lubricate U-joints - Every 15,000 miles Replace fuel filter (except Edge, Fusion, Milan, MKX, MKZ, Sable, Taurus and Taurus X) - Every 30,000 miles Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (not required on 6R60/6R75/TorqShift transmissions) - Replace wheel bearing grease and grease seals on 4x2 wheel bearings (if non-sealed bearings) - Every 50,000 miles Change rear axle lubricant (E-450 and F-450/550 only) - Every 60,000 miles Change transfer case fluid - As required Replace engine air filter - Replace cabin air filter (if equipped)
Off-road operation - Every 5,000 miles or 6 months Change engine oil and replace oil filter - Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure tread depth - Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise - Every 30,000 miles Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid (not required on 6R60/6R75/TorqShift transmissions) - Replace wheel bearing grease and grease seals on 4x2 wheel bearings (if non-sealed bearings) - Every 50,000 miles Change rear axle lubricant (E-450 and F-450/550 only) - Every 60,000 miles Change transfer case fluid - As required Replace cabin air filter (if equipped) - Inspect and lubricate steering linkage ball joints and U-joints (if equipped with zerk fittings)
I'd probably go for the 5k mile (8k km) oil change.
Ed
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the comments, guys. On top of other considerations, the system doesn't know if I'm using full synthetic, blend, or conventional oil, does it?
I'll let common sense prevail....and fortunately, although I'm only driving this car about 400 miles a month, it does get fully heated-up when it is driven, which helps.
Speaking of common sense, how would you guys handle this one: got my '06 Mustang in February '06......maintenance schedule says (I think) change oil at 5000 miles or 6 months. The car now has 1100 miles on it. So, every 6 months would be every 250 miles or so.......but there's the warranty to be kept in effect. (Instead of paying the "environmental" fee when I have it changed, I should have them drain it into jugs and take it home with me).
Add pictures here
✖