Question on 98 Taurus Headlight switch

I jsut noticed on my 98 Taurus SE that there seems to be another position on the headlight switch. I can pull out the swtich abpit 1/8 inch to a detent
when I have the headlights full on. I can't pull the knob out in any other position. I tried leaving it inthis position but it doesn't seem to change anything. Anyone have any idea what this is for?
Thanks
Rick Heckbert wrote:

Auxiliary lights? Fog/Driving?
says...

It's for fog lights, which I believe were only available (from the factory) on the Sable.
i belive that when you pull the switch out you will find a small hole under it, with a small flate screw driver you can depress a tab inside and the switch knob will come off, this is the way that the whole switch is removed .