Question on 98 Taurus Headlight switch

I just noticed on my 98 Taurus SE that there seems to be another position on the headlight switch. I can pull out the swtich abpit 1/8 inch to a detent
when I have the headlights full on. I can't pull the knob out in any other position. I tried leaving it inthis position but it doesn't seem to change anything. Anyone have any idea what this is for?
Thanks