Question re: Ford Taurus Electrical starting system problems./correct wiring

Hello, I have a 1988 Ford Taurus 3.5L V6 and have recently got it running. There was an issue with the solenoid/starter relay being burnt out. I am not sure if it has been sitting too long, if the alternator is also
fried, or if I have the solenoid wired incorrectly. The car starts and runs fine However the alternator is smoking. I noticed this right away and shut it off and disconnected the battery, but I am unsure asto the wiring. I'm horrible at interpreting the Chiltons diagrams and am unsure asto the correct wiring. There is a orange/black wire on BOTH positive and negative posts of the alternator, and a small black and white open ended wire that is disconnected next to each. The positive post I am sure is wired correctly however the negative may not be. Could the alternators smoking be a biproduct of having sat for several months? It does not smell like water vapor OR melting plastic, so I am unsure asto what the cause may be. Thanks for any help folks. -Loki