Question regarding the Ford Probe GT

I'm looking into a 93 Ford Probe GT and was wondering if anybody in the group had any experience with these cars. My previous 2 cars have been a 91 and a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix. I was less than pleased with what I got from them so I figure it's time for a little change. The Ford Probe I'm considering is in really good shape with a 2.5L V6 DOHC 24V FI and a manual transmission. What could a person expect when dealing with one of these cars? Any info or advice on the Ford Probe would be greatly appareciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Spanky

I. Care

Specifically, the Probe is a good little car... it's based on the Mazda

626 platform so, mechanically, you can look at and crunch 626 numbers. But it's a helluva lot more fun to drive than a 626

The downsides:

EASY to break into, because the door windows arent framed... so dont be leaving any valuables in plain sight in there. Or expensive sound systems

- OTOH, there arent likely to be any broken windows from break-ins

Wind noise at speed, same reason

Repair Parts costs WERE high when I first got mine... though they came down significantly as the model matured and aftermarket geared up.

A heavy hatch. Probably will have to replace the hatch lifters.

Turn radius of a mid-size. My 93 TBird turns about 3 feet better

Upsides: Cheap economy... the thing is slippery and my 4 cyl MT SE regularly got

27-30 mpg, mixed driving, with foot to the floor much, hell, MOST, of the time.

More hauling capacity than you'd think at first look, with rear seats down.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Tom Adkins

A Taurus GL/SHO transplant?

{scratching head}

Interesting swop.. should be doable with mostly off-shelf parts. Need different springs, though, I'd think.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Nope, Original driveline. About a 1990-91 maybe? IIRC, the car had bigger Taurus "looking" brakes. I think I may have seen another over the years, but no more than 2. It wasn't a GT, but a regular Probe with all the bells and whistles.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It was indeed a Probe GL? Beautiful to drive, nice interior. My wife the school teacher loved it and kept her 1990 Probe for 9 years and traded for a 98 GT It was a hoot to dive, lots of power but a crappy plastic interior. She traded it in in 1991 for a Cougar which she kept for 10 years!

Reply to
Robert Sveinson