Question regarding the Ford Probe GT

I'm looking into a 93 Ford Probe GT and was wondering if anybody in the group had any experience with these cars. My previous 2 cars have been a 91 and a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix. I was less than pleased with what I
got from them so I figure it's time for a little change. The Ford Probe I'm considering is in really good shape with a 2.5L V6 DOHC 24V FI and a manual transmission. What could a person expect when dealing with one of these cars? Any info or advice on the Ford Probe would be greatly appareciated. Thanks in advance.
-

http://forums.probetalk.com /
--
I. Care

Specifically, the Probe is a good little car... it's based on the Mazda 626 platform so, mechanically, you can look at and crunch 626 numbers. But it's a helluva lot more fun to drive than a 626
The downsides:
EASY to break into, because the door windows arent framed... so dont be leaving any valuables in plain sight in there. Or expensive sound systems - OTOH, there arent likely to be any broken windows from break-ins
Wind noise at speed, same reason
Repair Parts costs WERE high when I first got mine... though they came down significantly as the model matured and aftermarket geared up.
A heavy hatch. Probably will have to replace the hatch lifters.
Turn radius of a mid-size. My 93 TBird turns about 3 feet better
Upsides: Cheap economy... the thing is slippery and my 4 cyl MT SE regularly got 27-30 mpg, mixed driving, with foot to the floor much, hell, MOST, of the time.
More hauling capacity than you'd think at first look, with rear seats down.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Spanky wrote:

The earlier probes were prone to electrical problems, brake noise, and a whole host of oddball problems. By 93 I believe they were a pretty good car. In my neck of the woods (Northern Ohio) They are prone to rust badly underneath and electrical problems are very common. This is, of course, due to winter salt. If you live in a more temperate area it shouldn't be an issue. I once drove a Probe with a 3.0L Vulcan and a 5 speed trans. That car was a blast to drive.

A Taurus GL/SHO transplant?
{scratching head}
Interesting swop.. should be doable with mostly off-shelf parts. Need different springs, though, I'd think.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Taurus "looking" brakes. I think I may have seen another over the years, but no more than 2. It wasn't a GT, but a regular Probe with all the bells and whistles.

It was indeed a Probe GL? Beautiful to drive, nice interior. My wife the school teacher loved it and kept her 1990 Probe for 9 years and traded for a 98 GT It was a hoot to dive, lots of power but a crappy plastic interior. She traded it in in 1991 for a Cougar which she kept for 10 years!