Question-Securement of luggage on a Windstar luggage rack

I will be renting a Windstar (or as the rental agency states "or something similar") in several weeks and will be using the luggage rack to secure some of our stuff. First of all, it's been years since
I've secured stuff on a luggage rack and I've noticed that racks have changed thru the years. I have noticed that you have racks that have a long bar on either side for tying down the load and small bars in the front and back to prevent load from falling off. I've also seen racks on Windstars that have big thick bars in the front and back, but only small loops on the side bars. I've also seen racks with no side bars, just a bar in the front and back of the rack.
I figured I would get some cargo netting for covering the luggage on the rack, but how do you secure it with the various bar placements?
If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Thanks
It's Mr. Rather B. Beachen to you
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com