Questions about 2005 Crown Vic LX Sport

I just bought a 2005 Crown LX Sport. I absoloutly LOVE this car. It only has one thing that I'd like to change (besides the speed limiter), and that is the automatic headlights. On my old car (A GM
Product), if I left the headlights on AUTO, the day running lamps came on all the time, and the headlights switched on once it was dark. This worked great, since I live in an area where the law requires you to have your headlights on at all times (Day running lamps we acceptable during daytime). On the new Crown, Auto means the headilghts come on when it's dark, and off when it's light, no day running lights at all. Is there a way to have this car use the Day Running Lights when it's light out, and headlights when it's dark, without having to turn them on and off manually (I've gotten so used to the old car, I've already been given 2 warnings from the local police for not having my headlights on because I leave them on auto, else I'll forget them all together).
Also, since I live in Alaska, I'm going to be needing some studded snow tires once winter hits. I've yet to see any studded snows for 17 or 16 inch rims (At least not from goodyear), but can anyone tell me if a 15" ford rim will fit? Thanks.
Ford used to have a module for Daytime Running Lights that just plugged into the wiring harness. Your dealer should be able to get one. My '95 CV manuals make reference to it quite a bit since it was standard on all Canadian cars. They called it the DRL module then...
By the way, TireRack (www.tirerack.com) lists a Pirelli studdable for your wheels...
PoD

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 05:20:00 GMT, "Paul of Dayton"

Thanks, I'll look into the module. As for the tires, My Stepfather retired from Goodyear (33 years as a machinist), so I'm kind of partial to them. I plan on getting another set of rims for the winter tires, and if 15" rims would fit, it would solve all my problems. Thanks

Well, that's a good reason to buy Goodyear. I bet the dealer or a good tire store will know the answer...
PoD

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:50:37 GMT, "Paul of Dayton"
I talked to the service dept AND the parts dept at the dealer, and they say the DRL Module is not available for the Crown Vic. That's kind of a bummer, since that means a feature that was standard on a $20,000 vehicle (Chevy Malibu) is not possible on a $34,000 vehicle (My Crown). If I turn the headlamps to ON, it works EXACTLY like I want, except they don't turn off when the car is turned off. Do you know if those have a timer that shuts them off, and if so, can it be adjusted? Thanks

why not just do what I did on my 99 and put a piece of tape that matches the color of your dash over the sensor?

came
This
all.

I just might give that a try, where exactly is the sensor?

on the 99 it is the little bulge on the dash on the driver side that flashes when car is off to let you know security system is on. start the car, turn the auto lamps on, and cover the sensor with a towel folded on itself a few times. if you have the rite sensor, the lights will come on. then just cover it with tape and you will have automatic lights.

GM
acceptable
on
it's
them
already
all
17
me

You may want to check the wheel fit closely. IIRC, there was a brake change that went along with the larger wheels. It may not even be possible for a 15" wheel to fit over the brakes.
Lugnut

I am not sure, but I don't think a 15 inch rim will fit the 99 and newer crown vic, because when they switched to rear disc brakes in 99 they also switched to 16 inch wheels

Dunno whether the 15" rims will fit, but 'Vics have had rear disc brakes since 1992...

came
This
acceptable
all.
them
already
all
17
-
I can't believe they still have them on Earth. My grandmother had one. If Ford made them for the second world war. The Germans would have given up.