Quiet Tire Recommendation for '98 Sable

It's time for tires for my '98 Sable. Around these parts, the highway department seems to love slathering tar all over the highways, followed by a nice layer of rocks. I kid you not, once I saw them pave a very
nice, dark blacktop highway. It was so smooth and quiet to ride on. About two weeks after paving this, they came back through and mashed a bunch of white rocks into it and with a 70 MPH speed limit, now the inside of my car sounds like a jet taking off. I hate it.
Now I know that the best solution for road noise would probably be some kind of acoustic insulation and some kind of damper to absorb high frequency road vibrations, but that's something I'll do down the road. Right now, I'm hoping to get recommendations for the best tires to reduce road noise, especially under the conditions described above.
Thanks Damaeus
Quiet Tire Recommendation for '98 Sable Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Apr 8, 2004, 9:43am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.invalid.net (Damaeus) It's time for tires for my '98 Sable. Around these parts, the highway department seems to love slathering tar all over the highways, followed by a nice layer of rocks. I kid you not, once I saw them pave a very nice, dark blacktop highway. It was so smooth and quiet to ride on. About two weeks after paving this, they came back through and mashed a bunch of white rocks into it and with a 70 MPH speed limit, now the inside of my car sounds like a jet taking off. I hate it.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
They probably did that to improve traction in wet weather. Now I know that the best solution for road noise would probably be some kind of acoustic insulation and some kind of damper to absorb high frequency road vibrations, but that's something I'll do down the road. Right now, I'm hoping to get recommendations for the best tires to reduce road noise, especially under the conditions described above. Thanks Damaeus<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I seriously doubt there's any tire that will significantly lower the road noise to an "acceptable" level for you. Try an alternate route that might be quieter.
Eric
Ramps @ NAB: Tuesday April 20 6pm. "Firefly on Paradise" 3900 Paradise Rd. Las Vegas.