Rack & Pinion Leak Stopped

10-12 weeks ago since I replaced the PS pump and discovered the R&P was leaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. By now I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has stopped.
Not my favorite way to make repairs - never used that kind of stuff before - but I figured before I spend the big bucks on a rebuild, it was worth a try.
Was originally leaking about an ounce a day. Now is down to less than an ounce a week and no low fluid noises. Same driving pattern.
I'm not expecting it to last for long. I wonder if it's possible solids got washed into the leak and plugged it?
Bob
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:26:20 -0800, "Guv Bob"
leaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. By now I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has stopped.

More likely the stop leak did it's job. The good ones work by softening hardened rubber seals - which harden when overheated in old worn out power steering fluid. You MAY have dodged the bullet.

Had a Taurus some years back, the new pump increases fluid pressure and caused the R & P to leak. Good luck though. Jim

- Had a Taurus some years back, the new pump increases fluid pressure - and caused the R & P to leak. Good luck though. - Jim
Final (hopefully) update.... and some interesting stuff I learned to pass along....
R&P started leaking more again, so I had it replaced. Cost was right at $400 parts & labor at my regular garage. Pretty soon I started seeing PS fluid again, and learned that you have to check the fluid level when it's up to temperature. Learned that it's similar to checking transmission and if you fill it when cold, it can overflow thru the vent hole, which is what it was doing. Also, in all this filing and refilling, I stopped checking the dipstick and started filling up to the top, figuring it would leak out anyway. Sure enough it kept leaking.
Moral of the story - learn how to check the fluid properly. Funny that I always knew to check trans fluid while hot and running but never looked to see how to check PS.
I remember some feller posted how it didn't leak when he only filled it to a couple of inches from the top. Maybe this will help other folks keep the stuff from dripping on the driveway.
Took 3-4 days to get all the air out and now the whining has all stopped. Knock on wood...

[...]
===
The saga continues..... R&P and PS working fine and no leaks. But the whining noise came back within 2 months. PS pump was rebuilt from Ford and out of 30 day warranty now. Is there something else that causes this whining? I don't like waking up the neighbors every time I come home late.
Welp, it's bin just about a year now since replacing the power steering pump & rebuilding rack & pinion, and the PS has slowly bin getting louder and louder. Now it's back to roaring just as loud as the old one. Not drop of fluid has leaked since then. Pump was a rebuilt purchased from Ford.
I've tried bleeding air, but nothing seems to make any difference.
Make suggestions if you want to, but I'm convinced that excessive noise is one of the design requirements for Ford PS pumps.
Other than that one flaw and the AC compressor going out, and the alternator going bad, and the heater not working, and the transmission slipping, and getting 13 mpg, it's a fine machine.