Rack & Pinion Leak Stopped

leaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. By now I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has stopped.

but I figured before I spend the big bucks on a rebuild, it was worth a try.

a week and no low fluid noises. Same driving pattern.

washed into the leak and plugged it?

More likely the stop leak did it's job. The good ones work by softening hardened rubber seals - which harden when overheated in old worn out power steering fluid. You MAY have dodged the bullet.

Reply to
clare
10-12 weeks ago since I replaced the PS pump and discovered the R&P was = leaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. By = now I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has = stopped. =20

Not my favorite way to make repairs - never used that kind of stuff = before - but I figured before I spend the big bucks on a rebuild, it was = worth a try.

Was originally leaking about an ounce a day. Now is down to less than = an ounce a week and no low fluid noises. Same driving pattern.

I'm not expecting it to last for long. I wonder if it's possible solids = got washed into the leak and plugged it?

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

eaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. =A0By n= ow I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has stopped. = =A0

e - but I figured before I spend the big bucks on a rebuild, it was worth a= try.

an ounce a week and no low fluid noises. =A0Same driving pattern.

s got washed into the leak and plugged it?

Had a Taurus some years back, the new pump increases fluid pressure and caused the R & P to leak. Good luck though. Jim

Reply to
jamesd43081

was leaking, I have been refilling with one of those stop-leak products. = By now I have used 3-4 pints and the leak from the rack & pinion has = stopped.=20

before - but I figured before I spend the big bucks on a rebuild, it was = worth a try.

an ounce a week and no low fluid noises. Same driving pattern.

solids got washed into the leak and plugged it?

- Had a Taurus some years back, the new pump increases fluid pressure

- and caused the R & P to leak. Good luck though.

- Jim

Final (hopefully) update.... and some interesting stuff I learned to = pass along....

R&P started leaking more again, so I had it replaced. Cost was right at = $400 parts & labor at my regular garage. Pretty soon I started seeing = PS fluid again, and learned that you have to check the fluid level when = it's up to temperature. Learned that it's similar to checking = transmission and if you fill it when cold, it can overflow thru the vent = hole, which is what it was doing. Also, in all this filing and = refilling, I stopped checking the dipstick and started filling up to the = top, figuring it would leak out anyway. Sure enough it kept leaking.=20

Moral of the story - learn how to check the fluid properly. Funny that = I always knew to check trans fluid while hot and running but never = looked to see how to check PS.

I remember some feller posted how it didn't leak when he only filled it = to a couple of inches from the top. Maybe this will help other folks = keep the stuff from dripping on the driveway.

Took 3-4 days to get all the air out and now the whining has all = stopped. Knock on wood...

Reply to
Guv Bob

[...]

=3D=3D=3D

The saga continues..... R&P and PS working fine and no leaks. But the = whining noise came back within 2 months. PS pump was rebuilt from Ford = and out of 30 day warranty now. Is there something else that causes = this whining? I don't like waking up the neighbors every time I come = home late.

Reply to
GuvBob

Welp, it's bin just about a year now since replacing the power steering = pump & rebuilding rack & pinion, and the PS has slowly bin getting = louder and louder. Now it's back to roaring just as loud as the old = one. Not drop of fluid has leaked since then. Pump was a rebuilt = purchased from Ford.

I've tried bleeding air, but nothing seems to make any difference. =20

Make suggestions if you want to, but I'm convinced that excessive noise = is one of the design requirements for Ford PS pumps.

Other than that one flaw and the AC compressor going out, and the = alternator going bad, and the heater not working, and the transmission = slipping, and getting 13 mpg, it's a fine machine.

Reply to
Guv Bob