Rack & Pinion replacement 98 Mustang

98 V8 Mustang

I need to replace the power Rack and Pinion on my 98 V8 Mustang; it is leaking power steering fluid. Do I need to remove the tie rod ends from the spindles or is it possible to remove the tie rod adjuster from the tie rod ends and then remove the Rack and Pinion?? Any hints in removing the Rack and Pinion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

When I replaced the rack in my Fox-bodied TBird, I did it because the inner, tie rods were shot. Most racks at that time cost about the same as the inner tie rods alone. I popped the tie rods, undid a few bolts, removed the couplings, and the whole assembly was off. I measured the old one and installed new tie rods on the new rack to the same length (they were cheap and I had it apart anyway). Having the whole thing on the garage floor made it easy to set the new one up, then bolt it into place.

Hope this is helpful - PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton