radiator cap

Hi everyone,

I was recently in a minor accident. I mainly have to replace the lights and header panel. I also have to replace the radiator but it seams that the only part of the radiator to replace is the spout portion with the filler cap on it.. I was hoping that maybe i could just glue it back on with some PL or Crazy Glue. Was wondering if that was possible and if it isn't how do i remove what appears to me to be the air conditioning radiator in front of it which may have some damage to the finns. I tried to disconnect a hose from if but I could hear a hissing noise which I thought was freon and tightened it back up. I am not really interested in the replacing the air conditioning rad as the compressor doesn't work anyways. I appears to me that it is completely separate from the main radiator that cools the motor and tranny.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
carlbernardi

Not on the car, but if this is an old-style Brass and Copper radiator you can take it out of the car and to a good radiator repair shop. They may be able to unsolder the filler spout and un-bend it, and put it back together, or get a new one. Or just swap out the entire top tank and spout as an assembly from a donor radiator.

If this is an aluminum radiator with the plastic tanks, one word: Fuhgeddaboudit. That's a glass filled plastic that will defy all attempts to permanently repair it, and replacing the tank invites leaks at the crimped joint to the radiator core. It isn't worth the hassle and money to try, toss the broken radiator and buy a new one.

The Air Conditioner Condenser Core is totally separate from the radiator, though it might be mechanically attached to it on the car - if it isn't leaking, broken or bent you can leave it alone.

To fix the bent fins they sell plastic "Fin Combs" at AC supply shops that will bend the fins back straight so air goes through. They make kits with comb heads to fit the various sizes of fins per inch used, and it's just like raking your lawn.

You lost some of the AC refrigerant charge when you loosened the connections, and it might still have a slow leak at that connection. A mechanic with a leak-check sniffer can check for leaks, and refill the AC system if that is all that is needed.

Note that if you didn't use two wrenches on the flare fittings to the AC condenser core it is very easy to twist the aluminum tubing, and cause a refrigerant leak that would require replacing the core. Aluminum fatigues and cracks easily when bent cold. Just mentioning it so you won't think the mechanic is BSing you.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman