Radiator/Coolant Flush - 2000 Taurus

Our 2000 Taurus is due for a coolant flush. I've read up on some DIY approaches to doing this but wanted to see if anyone could share any practical experience doing this.
I know better than to run the engine empty of coolant with the garden hose turned on and inserted into the resevior. I don't want to sieze the pistons or crack the aluminum with the entry of cold city water into the loop.
Is it enough to empty the coolant from the rad and block, refill with tap water, run and drain again? That leaves me with probably four gallons of waste that I have to dispose of. What about draining once and just refilling?
Thanks!

Nobody?

radiator will get most of the old coolant out. Then just refill it at about 50/50 coolant/water.
I just dump and refill with the proper mix. No tap water flush, just a refill of distilled water and anti-freeze. Bulk of the old acidic stuff gets changed out.
--
John