Radiator fan controller module - where is it?

The chiltons manual and ford mechanics say the fan control module, a unit which measures about 5 inches by 9 inches or so, is located in the left front fender. We have torn everything out of there and were not able to
find it ... anyone know where it is located?
Any particular model/year?
saxydj wrote:

sorry ... this is a late 2000 model ..
Well, that helps a little but Ford did actually build more than one model in 2000. If you expect to get any useful information don't be so poor about offering it. Bob

can't believe how lame brain i am .. talked about it so much that I forgot to put it down .....the car is a 2000 ford taurus SE .. thnaks for those who have put up with my absent mindedness! saxy
saxydj wrote:

Servers frequently purge their info. What kind of problem are you having with your: 2000 ford taurus SE ?
That helps a lot! You should find it right above the radiator. Bob

Taurus does not have a fan controller. The cooling fan electrical system consists of the engine computer; low fan relay and high fan relay. No other modules. Your "Ford mechanic" does not know what he/she is talking about.

Tom, Maybe you should tell that to Bob who replied above!
He's referring to the older model Taurus/Sable. The relays were housed with other relays ( fuel pump, EEC power ) in a box mounted on the radiator support. It was not a controller just dumb relays ( meaning no stand alone ability ), the ECM still controlled the fans. Your relays are now in the battery junction box.
I forgot to mention there is a resister in line from the low speed relay to the fan motor. If the motor does not work that would be a good part to look at.

so are you saying the major ecm is what controls the fan ... there are no "sub" ecm's for this purpose? .. then waht is the module that chiltons claims does this job and they show it in the left front fender?... what does that module do? ... Orange ford (Albany) claims this to be the culprit ... electronics ..I hate them!
That is what I'm saying, the engine computer controls the fans. Again the system consist of the PCM ( engine computer ) two relays and a resister, and of course the fans. No other modules of any type. What Chilton is claiming? Don't have a clue, but is wrong.

forgot to mention also that neither fan comes on ... when the a/c unit comes on the passenger fan is suppose to start up also .. this doesn't happen

I'll assume the "passenger fan" you are talking about is the fan for inside the car? The one you control by the knob on your dash ( or button if you have climate control )? Two problems then. The ECM ( engine computer ) gets a signal when you turn on the A/C. When the ECM sees that signal it turns on the cooling fan. So if you turn on the A/C and the cooling fan does not come on, the ECM is not getting that signal.
But in either case it's right near the radiator. I just looked up the wiring diagram and of coarse you're correct it has individual relays. Saxdj would make it a lot easier if he said exactly what problem he is having. No high speed fan, no low speed fan or one and not the other. By the way Thomas, what's the idea of having a fan brake relay? I see his Taurus has one in the circuit. Bob PS. saxdj, if neither fan works make sure and check the 40 amp fuse in that same box.

Mitchel, and they say it's located in the relay center under the left side of the dash. I imagine you have access to the Ford diagrams on line? This wouldn't be the first time Mitchel has been wrong

Yes I do. Mitchell is wrong.
wow .. didn't know i was being so vague ... sorry about that .. the problem is, neither radiator fan works (yes, I am absolutely certain I have 2 radiator fans!!) My understanding is the one on the passenger side (right side) is only activated by the A/c control ... when the clutch comes on, the right radiator fan comes on ... but as i said, neither fan comes on any longer. Relays have been tested .. Orange Motors in Albany sent me this module (for $150) said it goes within the left fender .. that this module controls the radiator fans and other ... don't know where to go now .

Does it look like this relay shorts both (some) motor input terminals together (via grounding?) when the fan is de-energized? Could be for dynamic braking of the motor when fan is turned off.