Radiator Flush

2002 Taurus 24Valve Duratec. How in the world do I drain the radiator coolant? There doesn't seem to be the usual drain screw that I've seen on many other cars. Why doesn't this one have one?

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Remove the lower hose, most do not have a drain c*ck and haven't for many years

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

FYI there is a lower drain c*ck on this car. I had to remove 10 little screws on the bottom of the plastic radiator shrowed below the car up front. It's this plastic shield thingy used for directing the airflow. Ford purposely used a rare size screw that is impossible to find in the typical tool box in order to make this job hard for the do it yourselfer. And there are 3 larger screws holding this plastic shield in place.

The drain c*ck is on the very bottom drivers side corner of the radiator itself. It does not come completely out. What you have to do is unscrew it just enough so that the coolant will drain out a seperate hole just off to the side of the drain c*ck.

Please DO NOT DUMP USED RADIATOR FLUID INTO THE STORM DRAIN! It ends up into the ocean, rivers, and lakes and it contaminates the environment. It is toxic, it kills all the marine life. The used fluid needs to be carefully bottled and sent to the proper city recycling center.

I chose the green fluid by "PEAK" that makes it less toxic than the conventional coolant/anti-freeze. Its the one in the Green containers, not the blue ones. Safe for aluminum engines and water pumps.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003