Radiator recommendation

After 14 years or so, the Modine radiator I installed back in 1992 has sprung a leak and it is time to buy a new radiator. I measured the core and it is 1 1/2 inch thick. I do not know if I have a 2 row or 3 row radiator. Can anyone recommend a brand to buy? SPI, ProAlliance, Silla, or Visteon? Should I go with a 2 or 3 row? I have a 1978 Ford Granada, 250 inline 6, and factory air.

Thank you

Reply to
azazel scratch

The tanks, If I Recall Correctly, were built for three row.. are all the rows filled?

What's wrong with Modine? The OE lasted 14 years, the Modine lasted 14 years. I dont get it... I've bought several and never had any problem but, then...

So YOU'RE the one! I heard a rumor there was still one on the road!

I had a 76 of same.. Sold it early (for me) after a little over a year, it was either sell it or get a different job for shorter commute. Most joyless, to drive, Ford I ever had.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Modine is now ProAlliance, a merger of GDI and another company I can't recall. Back in 1992 it was easy just to order a replacement Modine from JC Whitney. I should have bought 2 when I had the chance. Unlike the Modine radiators, the ProAlliance are made overseas or in Mexico. I have been told that radiators are no longer made in the US. I was also told that Ford uses Visteon in their cars but the Visteon are the most expensive.

Reply to
azazel scratch

I used to work with a guy who worked at the old Mahwah, NJ Ford plant where they built Granadas. He bought one himself under the employee purchase plan. It was rather unusual in that it was 6 cylinder with a manual stick shift with all kinds of Mercury line parts added in by the "line". Some parts secreted into body cavities for later installation.

A common thing back in the 70's.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Heh heh heh, you too huh? My mother had a 76, absolutely nothing "great" about that car. It wasn't a bad car at all, just the epitome of yaawwwnn. To it's credit, after

12 years, 130K and duty as my fathers steel mill work car it still ran like a top. After a nasty wind, snow, ice storm followed by a deep freeze, it was the only car of 5 that would start even though it had sat for 2 weeks.
Reply to
Tom Adkins

How 'bout that ESO Granada - now that was exciting!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I bought my 1978 Granada brand new from the dealer. For 5 years I would drive 900 miles round trip to visit my parents for the 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day holidays. I then drove the car 80 miles round trip every day to work for 6 years. I still have the original transmission and original engine. I have never had to repair the transmission or the engine. I did have to replace the electronic ignition module, power steering boost, master cylinder, radiator, power steering pressure hose, air conditioner pressure hose, radiator, water pump, and manifold. These are the only parts that failed. Of course some parts I replaced due to wear such as spark plugs, rotors, tires, brake shoes, etc.

I paid $7200 for the car out the door and I am very happy with my American made car made by Americans >

Reply to
azazel scratch

Exactly my point... it was succeeded by an 82 Escort MT, Wagon, which was also nothing special, but still more fun to drive than the Granada

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And you'll note none of us have a problem with that... only that it was for people who get nothing out of the 'driving experience'.

However, I feel the same can be said of driving a van. Which I also have done and for reason.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your car. Nearly all cars from the 70s were rather ho hum. Mechanically the Granada was a reliable car. That series of inline 6 cylinder engine was one of the best ever made, second only to the Mopar Slant 6 IMHO. The only mechanical system that was really problematic was that goofy linkage type power steering.

Reply to
Tom Adkins