Radio keycodes - how do they work?

My son is having a new radio fitted to his Fiesta. Will the new radio work from the same keycode as the previous one or does the keycode move with the
radio? Until now I have assumed the latter but now I'm being told that the code is bound to the chassis number.
TIA C
I never heard of it being bound to the chassis number. The code is programmed into the Radios memory. You can record the chassis number in the radio using this access code so that if its stolen the recorded chassis number is displayed. This is probably where the idea of it being bound to the chassis originated.
Ian
those nice people at form have a big database of every car that has ever rolled off the production lines.
in the database is info about the car, paint colour, interior trim, trim level, lock codes etc.
also on the data base is the original radio unlock code, thats the only way the code is "bound" to the chassis.

the
is