Radio questions - 2002 Taurus

Hey everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out here. Several months ago, the defroster in my 2002 ford Taurus started acting crazy. The thing wouldn't shut off, as it blasts out heat at the highest temperature. After this happened, the radio started acting crazy, too. Sometimes the radio doesn't even turn on. Other times, I can't change the station or volume. So I have been driving around with the defroster on all of the time and radio not working well. So, I brought the car into the dealership, and they told me I needed to get a new radio console located in the front of the car. They recommended I go to a junk-yard, as new consoles cost nearly one thousand dollars. So, I went on eBay and bought one. I brought the car back to the dealership/service center, and they tried installing it. However, the dealership told me the console I bought didn't work, so I must have purchased a bad one. So, I went onto eBay and again bought another one. This time, I bought the radio removal tools with it, and sure enough, when I tried installing it myself, I still had the same problems with the defroster and the radio. So, I thought I would buy another one from a rather reputable radio dealer online (this one cost me $300, versus $20 for eBay ones). Anyway, I went to install it today, and again, it didn't work! Am I to think there must be something else wrong with the car besides the console? Maybe a problem in the wiring? This is SOOOOO frustrating, considering I spent money for the service center to originally diagnose the problem, spent money on the 3 replacement radios, and spent money to have the service center attempt to the install the first radio I bought on eBay.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
C.J. Thomas

The ADVICE is that that thing connects to wiring in the dash. And go to another service shop.

Although it seems it MIGHT be possible to get two bad ones in a row, I would have suspected something else and they 'shotgunned' the diagnosis... but YOU did it three times.

Costly suppositions... here's a hint, next time you're sick and the Doc says you have the flu... but it doesnt get better, go to a different Doc.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the reply. I actually called the same service center and spoke to the service manager directly. They have the car again, and they are also paying for our rental car. I was surprised at how nice he was....so fingers crossed on this one.

Reply to
C.J. Thomas

I have a 2002 Taurus and didn't have any problem with the radio or console CD changer. It seems like it's an electrical problem with the AC/heater and radio. You got screwed twice from the same service department at the dealer. If they make a third strike, then they're out. Go to a different Ford dealer service department or find a decent aftermarket repair shop to diagnose the situation.

I've gone through similar experiences with 4 different Ford dealers in my area. The service department at the dealer where I bought my car from usually gets things done right the first time. However, one time they couldn't diagnose the problem on an electrical problem in the instrument clusters on my car, so I decided to take it to another dealership. The second dealership refused to repair my car because they claimed that they are not authorized to perform warranty repairs and referred me back to the first dealer. I told the second dealer that I wasn't going back to that first dealer because they couldn't fix the problem. I decided to go to a third one. The third one repaired the problem, but somehow caused a fuse shortage in my autolamp feature while repairing the electrical problem in the instrument clusters. So, I took my car to a 4th dealer and they repaired the autolamp feature by replacing the fuse panel. I have been going back to the 4th dealer ever since because I am completely satisfied with their services.You really need to go to a different dealership for a "second" or "third" opinion like Backyard Mechanic said. Hopefully, things would work out with the dealership since you spoke with their service manager. If you are still not satisfied, then consult Ford Customer Service through the factory.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf