radio static

2000 F250 V-10 getting static on am stations when the engine is running. I replaced cab-to-frame ground strip, no corrosion on the base of the antenna post.
a V-10 has 2 static suppressors (compasitors ?) each mounted on the top front of each valve cover replacement cost - $25 each - I have not replaced these
anyone got any ideas ?
AM or FM reception ?
Is this a factory or aftermarket radio.
Static gets into a radio via the inputs and outputs of the radio as well as if the radio is not healthy internally.
That means antenna mount and lead, power leads into the radio, speaker leads, and grounds. Failure of shielding or other noise reducing circuits causes problems around noise sources
I'd start with making sure the antenna is in good shape, if a fixed external fender mount model look for crud where the antenna screws into the fender mount.
Get a walkman type radio, with the vehicle running and the walkman tuned to the stations with problems, carefully and safely wave the radio around the engine bay and other areas until you find the source of the noise.. Becareful of moving parts. headphone wires don't like drive belts, etc.

corvettex1 wrote:

Replace the alternator. Brushes are wearing out.
Rob

That could be it, alright... how many miles/hours?
you pay..DEAL with it!
115,000 miles on original alternator. alternator seems to be generating power - no indication otherwise. don't make me spend the $$ on replacing a working alternator unless this is positively the cause of the static.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:46:36 -0500, "corvettex1"

My experience over the last 20 years with Fords has been that the electrical system becomes noisy over time. The things that help are making sure all the grounds are good. The in-tank fuel pumps seem to be a source of RF interference that can be helped with various choke schemes that can be found on the internet. Some of them have a device that can be installed in the pump wiring inside the tank to stop the RF problem. Sorry, I no longer have the TSB with the part numbers. The thing that has corrected the problem for me every time has been a choke installed in the powere supply at the back of the radio just like we've done it for the 50 years I've been working around vehicles with AM radio problems. The one I have been most successful with looks like a small cannister. Radio Shack used to carry them but, their clerks now hardly know their way to the shop. I have bought hte last couple at Fry's Electronics. You can find them on the net with google for $3-10 each. All you need is one. The one I have found that works well looks like this one. They are avaialable to accommodate the line load thru them.
Lugnut
http://radioproshop.com/filters/ns12.htm