ragtop durability question

I am seriously looking into getting a 2008 Mustang GT convertible, and wanted to know what to expect with respect to ragtop durability, longevity, issues, etc. I have never owned a convertible before, and
have some concerns. Can some kind person please respond?
1. What's the life span of the ragtop? Assume the car spends half its life in an uncovered parking lot, getting beat up by the sun.
2. What about leaks, creaks, wind noise, etc? Does it leak in the rain? Does the fit remain tight over the years?
3. I have noticed other ragtops, not necessarily Mustangs, where the leading edge of the ragtop seems smushed up and back a bit, as if it has been slightly deformed over time. Is this something to expect?
4. Longevity of the mechanical components? What kind of issues can I expect from the top if I hold onto the car for 8 years?
5. Anything else I should know or consider?
Thanks!
one thing to consider is that with a ragtop, you basically have a car without locks on it, and anything of any value can not be left in it. over the past 25 years, i have had 3 tops sliced open by azzholes looking for something to steal. they never got anything, cause i don't leave anything in the cars. but they still sliced the tops open to get in, even though the doors were unlocked.

You must live in a tough neighborhood. I have quite often parked my convertibles with the top down and never had a problem. ;)
mike

well no, i live in a very nice safe town Mike. the top slicing were done in minority populated cities. i usually take one of my trucks if i have to go into the "ghettos", but there were times when the trucks were down for service, or i was on the road in one of the cars and had to take care of emergency business.

I too, have been considering a Mustang convertible. I know people who have them and I know the dealership owner. I trust their experience and advice. I have been told to get the cloth roof for improved longevity and maintenance. That will, however, limit your colour choice to black. I live where we have winter and the person I know with this car says he has never had a leak, or found it cold, or felt there was excessive road or wind noise. The winter experience was with his 03 model as the 07 has not been through a winter yet. The roof mechanism never gave him any trouble. Any mechanical system is subject to failure and it could happen tomorrow, or it could happen never. I am not concerned about that because I want a convertible. If it breaks I'll have to get it fixed, but the miles of grins far out weigh the risk in my book.
Joe Granto wrote:

The I have a 1964 Mustang GT convertible with the original vinyl top, that was always garaged but used year 'round, that has 90K on the clock. The top on my '41 Continental lasted nearly twenty five years.
The standard top on the Mustang is vinyl, a "Stayfast" material top is a several hundred dollar option. Sitting outside in the sun the standard top will last seven or eight years in reasonable good condition. The "Stayfast" material top should last twice as long
I currently own an '07 GT, my tenth convertible. The Mustang convertibles have had a headliner since the late nineties, leaks, creaks, wind noise and cold are not a problem
mike