Ranger 2.8

As my poor rusty puppy truck approaches 300K I am, preparing for a rebuild. Like to remove all smog, remove/replace nigtmare 2150 carb, remove/ replace distibhuter with mech advanced, and redo heads with
something that does not leak/burn oil.....ad infinitum
mechanical advance only, is only an option on a race car. Use one that also has vacuum advance for proper mileage

Let me get this right in my head.... You want to defeat the emissions controls and make the rest of us breathe the product of your "improvements".
There's a lot of people out there spending money to keep their vehicles "compliant".... This is the sign of a responsible adult....
Every now and again... someone comes along asking for instructions on how to shit in a responsible adults front yard...

in the age of disposable cars and tight emmissions controls would his smog machine and others like it even account for 1% of the cars on the road?

Probably.
Would it be okay to burglarize just 1% of the homes...

I guess I will have to let the weeds grow around my house since my two cycle weed whacker with it's 28cc "smog pump" pollutes the air more than any "automobile" out there. What's next, the lawn mower then the snow blower gets put out of commission next winter but I'm using it tomorrow to pollute the air while I clear yet another foot of snow slated to fall tonight. Ain't using any shovels this time.

Wouldn't the more important question be, what percentage of the pollution is caused by machines like these? Suppose 1% of the cars were emitting 25% of the pollution? In this case, what would it make more sense to go after? I'd go after the 1%.....
Ed

but are they making 25%?

I have no idea, but I sure that for some components of smog non-compliant cars emit a very high percentage of all pollution that is released. "Modern" cars emit little more than water and CO2.
Ed
Or aren't they? Is the question about poor running cars or is the question about people making the decision to defeat emissions controls? What makes one person feel that they are "above" the rest of us and they can do as they please because the rest of us are "making up for it"?
So... you go to lie in the sun on the beautifully manicured grass of a local park... There is one particular spot that you like because of the view or the way the sun hit's you or the angle of the hill is just comfortable.... But some guy figures that it's OK for his dog to take a dump and just leave it behind... and that is right in your favourite spot. Are you gonna move? Or are you gonna tell the guy to obey the law?
For the weed-whacker guy.... You never know where emissions laws will strike next...

No offense Jim, but I kinda hoped you'd chime in on my emissions problem I posted yesterday. Here's me, a guy trying to FIX his emission troubled car, and you offer no direction. But here, you take a guy to task.
I'm not runnin you down. I'm tryin to get you to check out my thread. :-P
/hijack
CJB
Fire me... or cut my pay.... I'd be really, really disappointed if I was "expected" to do this....
Rereading your post, but still none of the replies at this time... it looks like you're on the right track. You say the car needs a new intake gasket (no indication of upper, lower or why) but I'll take that as a "vacuum leak". Lean mixture misfires due to vacuum leaks will show most at low rpm (where the vacuum leak is a bigger percentage of total airflow) which is where your concern appears to be prevalent. ANY misfire will increase HC content. If your CO content was also high, I'd look for something driving the system rich.... But, since CO is in limits, we'll suspect that the fire is simply going out - not being drowned.
I'm not busy calling you a fool or trying to grind your self-esteem into the ground... I figured that would make you happy... 8^)....

Have you even bothered running the numbers on this? It's very rare that a complete overhaul will cost less than simply buying a used vehicle with less mileage on it that isn't completely worn out yet.
The only time that complete overhauls make economic sense is if the vehicle is a collectable. (ie: 60's Mustang, etc.) This is true even if you do all your own labor. And, partial overhauls (like a trans or motor replacement) also do not make sense if the vehicle has body damage like rust.
Ted
The biggest problem people have with their vehicles... they grow attached to them.... "Oh, I know it's only a pile of metal and plastic.... but it's a special pile... it's mine... we've been 'friends' for a long time"....
I'm sure the Freud would have a field day with this man/machine love affair... "I lost my virginity in this truck... how can I part with that?". "The best fast food burger I ever had was in this truck....". "Me and my buddies smoked pot in this truck and 'bonded'".
Now that I mention it.... I have to repace a cracked toilet in one of my bathrooms... I'm gonna miss that toilet.... I've yacked in it a couple of times after overdoing it (much to the disgust of my loving bride)... It's saved me from changing my laundry schedule innumerable times... Perched upon that throne, I've learned about woodworking from magazine articles.... GAWD... I've read Tom Clancy, Dean Koontz and even John Grisham whilst having my cheeks nestled in the comfort of it's padded seat....
I don't care how much piss it leaks onto my floor.... I can't let it go...... AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
A truck or car is a machine.... It will never be anything more than a machine.... in spite of all our efforts to deny the fact.

Jim Warman wrote:

As a user, it's an environment: home away from home, magic carpet, refuge from a thousand insults real and imagined. Of course we don't want to part with it. We don't identify it by its VIN, but by the things we've experienced, seen, and imagined while it held us close.
Jack

Did you ever read any John LeCarre?