Ranger 3.0L Problems Please Help!

Ive owned my ranger for about three years now with absoletly no problems until now. I have two problems with the truck and any suggestions would be greatly apprietiated!!

1) Ticking And Squealing Which appears to be coming from the drivebelt i first thought it was rather the tensioner/idler pulleys so i replaced them, also eventually replacing the serpentine belt, The Noise only occurs now when first starting and idling the car and until the engine is warmed up and then it completely disapears once the engine is hot. it makes more of a repeated squealing noise intermitantly for about 2 minutes. I tried steathing the noise out and it seems to be coming more from the altenator region but not exactly sure?

2)Check Gage Light turns on and off randomely while driving around the

120km/h mark, i check all my gauges and they appear to be fine. The only thing i can think of is that i recently (three months ago) flushing the radiation system in the truck but have not hit this problem until recently.

Any suggestion would be absolutely awesome as for im stumped :)

Thanks in advanced!

Dave

Reply to
Doner8749

Don't know about the Check Gage but serpentine belts are notorious for squealing when new. Usually stops squealing for good after a while (just did it last month, took a few days). To see if its the belt you might want to grab a bar of soap at start up and VERY carefully touch both sides of the belt lightly (while its running) to see if it stops the noise. If it does and the tension seems right it might work itself out.

Reply to
F.H.

How many KMs on truck?

It could be the alternator, causing both problems.

I'd suggest replacing the alternator brushes {google this group for} TIP: Easy Alternator refurbish

but there may also be other problems with it.

Alternative is get a used one and replace brushes in it.

Also remove belt and check for slop and scrape in water pump, Not fan clutch.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Read the diagnostic codes stored in the Ranger's computer and post them up here.

Reply to
sleepdog

Timing is everything. I had saved this and then lost it in a crash. Thanks. One question, where does one get the brush replacement set?

Reply to
F.H.

That's what google's for, ya know..

NAPA has them... so should any parts house that sells to shops, otherwise, I believe Ford does, as well

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sure but without the voice of experience. ;)

When I first started driving, changing generator brushes was common. Never done it with an alternator nor do I know anyone who has so I guess I kind of concluded that brushes might be hard to find. Now that I'm retired and have more time than money, maintenance vs rebuilt sounds real good. All assistance appreciated.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

It hasn't been done, as a rule, to alternators. But there are a couple of alts. out there that changing brushes on is a very easy task. The parts are easily available. On your Ranger, the regulator\brush holder assembly is held on by 4 screws. You can swap the assembly in about 20 minutes including R&R. A little longer if you reuse the old regulator. You can fully service the alternator, as BY mentioned, in about an hour. The other easy to service alternator that comes to mind is the GM SI(?) series used throughout the 70s and 80s. They had even more serviceable parts, I think even K Mart used to carry brush\regulator\diode trio kits for those.

Reply to
Tom Adkins