Ranger 4.0L 2001 - 2004 - QUESTION!!!!

I was looking at getting a newer used Ford Ranger 4.0L or Mazda B4000 extended cab 2 wheel drive truck. I have read that the gas mileage is almost the exact same with the 3.0L and the 4.0L so might as well go with
the bigger one - right?
Here is the question. I read that the compression on the 4.0L is 9.7:1 - This is really high yet they say it can run on regular fuel. What do you guys find? Are your engines pinging on regular. What is everyone using for gas in these? Comments......
Nearly all Ford engines are designed to run on 87 octane, even the 300 HP Mustang GT runs are 87 octane.
mike hunt

I'm using 87 octane in my 2002. No pinging that I notice. Over the past 4800 miles I've gotten 21.4 mpg.