Ranger 4x4 locked up front wheels

2002 Ranger 4x4. It had been sitting for about a month in the garage here in northern Wi and went to back it out yesterday. Since we had a lot of new snow, I put in in 4WD and the front end wheels dragged out of the
garage. When I was outside I kept switching back and forth from 2 to 4WD and finally heard a clunk and it worked. Don't know if this is related but wife then went on a trip and at about 150 miles on icy roads, the rear end came around and she flipped it into a snowbank. Luclily, she was not hurt bad but the truck is. We thought it was just bad winter driving but could that front end have locked up again. She had it in 4WD at the time. Truck only has 47K miles on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
I have had several 4x4's and have had similar problems. I think it might be the gear oil in the transfer case. Might try changing it out for a oil that is rated for cold weather. Usually fronts move at different speed from the back unless gear ratio's are the same. Most that I have talked to have suggested that it be driven in 4x4 for at least a mile or two every month to keep everything lubed. that is the best I can think of right now, don't think it is strickly mechanical in nature, but a lube problem.
hope it helps