Ranger Governor

2002 Ranger, 3 liter engine. Vehicle can't get over 85 MPH. At this speed the engine seems to give out, kinda like it's starved for fuel. I've checked out some performance chip sites, they alter the performance, and almost as a sideline, increase the governor speed. That's more money than we want to spend, considering we don't want the extra performance. All that I want is to be able to increase the top end speed. On my sons car (Japanese), the fuel pump is controlled by the ECM, so the question is, does the ECM stop the pump at the preset limit, and starve the engine. His car actually has a "test" connector were you can connect 12 VDC (as pointed out in the shop manual) to turn on the pump. Can I just bypass the ECM in the truck and power the pump with a constant 12VDC (enabled only while the engine is turning, say from the ignition, or an override switch, when I want to pass). If the speed limiter is a safety issue, why is it so low. We'd be happy at 100 MPH. It's not like we are racing this truck, it would only be for passing. The truck isn't used for carrying anything more than some hand tools. Ford is really quiet about details of the governor. The local dealer claimed ignorance, that it even existed, till it was point out to him in a very heated discussion, he check, and then admitted it was true. I haven't seen much talk about them on the news groups.

Thanks for he help Ray

Reply to
Nirodac

Sometimes they set the governor for the speed rating of the stock tires and suspension that came with the truck. (below it a safe margin anyway)

The Governor is set in the computer. If you want to change it, buy the aftermarket chip. They usually work by cutting spark or fuel injection pulses at the preset limit.

Why do you need to go faster than 85?? Hell, even in Nebraska where its 75 MPH that's too fast in my opinion. 70 MPH is about right. Even if your passing,

85 is more than enough in a 75 MPH speed limit.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ