ranger jerks

Hi all.
My 94 Ranger automatic with Overdrive jerks at 55 MPH when I slowly accelerate going up an incline. The jerking stops when I press the gas to
the floor. It's like is can't down shift unlessa I floor it. It runs smooth in city driving and doesn't hesitate when starting from a stopped position. Any ideas?