Ranger "stuck" after being parked

hi all. I have a 98 ranger, 4cyl. manual transmission (2.3L, 2.5? Whatever the smallest is) 2 wd. Anyway, after being parked for awhile, like after work, or when i wake up in the morning-turn the car on, but it in reverse
(havent tried 1st yet) and it seems to be fighting itself, as if the parking brake were on. I put the truck in neutral, try to push it, doesn't budge. If i give it quite a bit of gas, it (struggles) then makes kinda a pop/bang noise (not from the exhaust, but something releasing) and im fine. I can turn it off, wait 30min, its fine. Only after sitting for a bit. The truck definitly is trying to move when its "stuck" it rocks when i give it gas etc. It feels just like the parking brake is on, thats the best way i can describe it. i dont think it is on, however, because after that initial pop, its fine, and the break works fine next time i park it. Any ideas??? Thanks alot guys!

It sounds like the brakes are sticking. Not sure what would cause this.
Jeff
Years ago I had this happen on my Volkswagen bug. Turned out to be the brake shoes rusting onto the drum surface. Happened after overnight or longer parking, especially after rainy period, when brakes were wet when set. Solved it by not using parking brake on near-level surfaces - just left it in gear.
It just had the brakes done infact, about a month ago (brake depot, i HIGHLY DONT recommend, another story though;) Anyway, you mentioned rain, its been raining ALOT up here in north florida lately, I wonder if that has caused it. It didnt rain last night, and truck was fine. Would this be something brake depot should cover? I think they turned down the back 2, and replaced the front 2 brakes, I'd have to check the receipt though, just curious. Thanks again guys!
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:06:01 +0000, Roger wrote:

I have this problem every now and then on my 93 explorer. Seems to be my rear drums, never my discs. It happens to me every time it rains and I've parked for over 4 hours. I notice right away because it won't budge in reverse when I back out. The good thing is, it always works in first. So I pop it in first, and pull forward a few inches. That normally loosens it enough that when I put it in reverse it works fine. Although, many times it make a loud pop after I move an inch or two in reverse.