Ranger "stuck" after being parked

hi all. I have a 98 ranger, 4cyl. manual transmission (2.3L, 2.5? Whatever the smallest is) 2 wd. Anyway, after being parked for awhile, like after work, or when i wake up in the morning-turn the car on, but it in reverse (havent tried 1st yet) and it seems to be fighting itself, as if the parking brake were on. I put the truck in neutral, try to push it, doesn't budge. If i give it quite a bit of gas, it (struggles) then makes kinda a pop/bang noise (not from the exhaust, but something releasing) and im fine. I can turn it off, wait 30min, its fine. Only after sitting for a bit. The truck definitly is trying to move when its "stuck" it rocks when i give it gas etc. It feels just like the parking brake is on, thats the best way i can describe it. i dont think it is on, however, because after that initial pop, its fine, and the break works fine next time i park it. Any ideas??? Thanks alot guys!

Reply to
jon

It sounds like the brakes are sticking. Not sure what would cause this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Years ago I had this happen on my Volkswagen bug. Turned out to be the brake shoes rusting onto the drum surface. Happened after overnight or longer parking, especially after rainy period, when brakes were wet when set. Solved it by not using parking brake on near-level surfaces - just left it in gear.

Reply to
Roger

Reply to
Mike Brancato