Ranger stuck in reverse

1992 ford ranger pickup, ext cab. 3.0 l, 5 speed manual 2wd. 120,000 km, ~75,000 miles
The transmission is stuck in reverse, clutch is fine. Anyone have experience with this? Is there the slightest chance of repairing it
from the top without pulling the tranny? If it is indeed rebuild time, what other years are compatible for parts?
In the past I've had problems shifting out of reverse, but only when the truck was carrying a load. I always got it out with a little effort, or after removing weight. Now that I've had a good look at it, I don't see what loading up the truck would do? Does the freaking tranny bend? :-/

I just had a thought... when the truck is carrying a load, the tailshaft may push into the transmission. How that would cause my problem, I don't know... But it's worth throwing out there.
The clutch may be fine but does the slave cylinder engage and disengage. If so you have a synchronizer problem then. I also have a Ranger 90' class but it has only the 2.3L in it. I have over 400,000 miles on it !!!! with the Mitsobitchy(LOL) transmission so don't give up on it, and no you need to pull the tranny to replace the part. Hope this helps,just suggestion good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit more research. this tranny is a Mazda m5od R1. I checked the fluid (atf), it was full, but dark. The clutch is fine, I can start it and move it around in reverse with no problem, to move forward I shut off the truck, depress the clutch and PUSH! :-) I have ground the gears many times going into reverse... this is one odd unit. It is taking me years to un-learn old shifting habits. I guess it's just rebuild time. It's a good time for the clutch and shifter rail plug patch anyway. Even with low miles, time takes it's toll.
Yeah I once again I think-type & talk in different directions. I didn't mean to say a mitsobitchy I too meant masda. I had just was talking with a guy about one and I guess I still had it on my mind. Good Luck anyway.
Shel-hed wrote:

================== Later in the thread you stated that you could get the thing out of revearse if you shut the engine down, and then you could go into 1st.
any whoooo.....
if this thing is dragging going into 1st also...... then the problem is in unit.
First and Revearse work off the same set of gears.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

No, in order to move it you have to turn off the truck (for safety), then depress the clutch. It's still in reverse. I've given up, the truck has to be towed to the shop on Tuesday.
Hopefully it's a minor repair. After tax cost for a rebuilt transmission, clutch and slave cylinder is close to $3000 including re and re. Who said manual trannies are cheaper!
We just got it back from the shop. The reverse slider assembly just fell apart. Some parts were on the bottom. The same thing happened to the oil pump at around 100 k Km. That's when I discovered that the oil pressure guage is really just an idiot light.