Re: 1987 ford 6.9L diesel problems

I have a 1987 ford 6.9L diesel when i let it sit and idle it pours

>white smoke and has a really rough idle i need help i dont know much >about diesels so can anyone help me thanks

White smoke would make me think there might be a head gasket leak, with coolant getting into one of the combustion chambers. It could also be brake fluid, ATF, or another type oil getting into the intake somehow - Odd Stuff Happens.

If you do nothing else, keep a sharp eye on all the fluid levels AND their condition every day or two - radiator coolant, crankcase oil, ATF, power steering, brake fluid. If one is mixing with another, you may be able to spot it before it gets bad - harmful levels of coolant in the engine oil will make it get milky white, but by that point it may be too late.

Find a local heavy truck repair facility that deals with diesel engine repairs daily, and have them check it over - they will be more experienced at finding all the failure points. Your local Ford dealer probably has a mechanic or two specially trained to work on diesel engines, but unless it's a very large dealership he probably doesn't do it all day, every day.

If it's been a while since your last oil change, you might get a laboratory oil analysis done. The analysis can pick up coolant in the oil and some other nasty problems before the damage to the engine bearings is terminal.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman