Re: 1994 2WD Ranger - Front Brake Spindle Question

Joe Guarino opined in news:migYa.83729$YN5.59758@sccrnsc01:

When installing new rotors and wheel bearings on my 1994 2WD Ranger, I > noticed that the RH spindle nut tightened up as far as it would go, but > there was still play in the rotor (end to end) between the back of the > spindle and the front washer behind the nut. The LH side was ok....followed > specs in manual for tightening nut, backing off and applying keeper nut and > cotter pin. Can I add a washer to take up the slack on the RH side (less > than 1/16 in.) or do I need to replace the knuckle? is the spindle bad? > Anyone ever experience this problem before with a rear wheel drive vehicle? > A new knuckle is expensive, probably find one in a boneyard. Any help is > appreciated. Joe > > >

I think you need to make sure the rotor you have is good...

  1. make sure the nut goes all the way to end of threads.

  1. switch rotors right/left see if it tightens all the way on the other side.

- I bet it doesnt.. that means the rotor/hub was machined wrong, too deep

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ok....followed

Joe, It sounds like you are missing something, maybe a race was lost during the machining process. Swapping the rotors is a good idea, it will tell you if it's the spindle or the rotor.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua