Re: 1995 Mercury Sable GS -- Overdrive Transmission

Hello,

> > My girlfriend has a 1995 Mercury Sable GS with Overdrive Transmission. > > We don't use overdrive around town because we have both heard people > say using it for town (stop and go) driving stresses it and to only use > it on the freeway and on long trips.

Doesn't make much sense, the car will only go into 4th (overdrive) if it's going fast enough. Unless the car hunts between 3rd and 4th, leave it in overdrive.

I have also heard it is ok to use Overdrive around town. > > I am curious if anyone has an opinion on whether it is ok to use the > overdrive in town driving.

Overdrive should be the gear selected for normal opperation. I've been using it for years without problem. Only downshift into drive if you're towing a trailer, need some engine braking, or the car is hunting between 3rd and

4th.

Also anyone know will we get better gas milage using overdrive on long

> trips wheere we are on the interstate for hours at a time.

If you're not using overdrive on the highway you might as well throw your money away. In overdrive the engine will spin slower and won't use as much gas.

As an aside note.... any opinions if Fuel additives like HEAT and the > like as well as using premium grade unleaded fuel help much...?

Don't use the snake oil. Premium gas will be a waste of money. Even if it did somehow improve mileage (in an engine designed for regular it won't) it costs more, offsetting any benifet.

We are going on an approx 800 mile trip in a few days. I want to > maximize Fuel effenciency.

Ensure your tires are properly inflated.

Reply to
Bill 2

Not ONE mention of CAIs or iridium wires/plugs. What's this world coming to?

Reply to
FanJet