Re: 1996 Lincoln Continental 4.6 V8 with transmission problems

Do you have any idea what this part is called or what the part number is?

I'm told that there is a component on the firewall that can be unplugged to reset the computer. Does this sound familiar?

Ty

I think there is an electrical gizmo on the side of the transmission > that tells the transmission what gear you told it to be in. =A0Sometimes > they go bad and send the wrong signals to the transmission. =A0If it has > one they are about $150 to replace. > > > > >It's the "WIERD PART" that is confusing me. > > >This tranny drives out great! It doesn't slip. It shifts out just > >fine. It > >pulls hard. The car has even been on a couple 1000 mile trips. Then, > >after > >about 2 months, when everything is going great, you get in one day and > >it > >will not go forward. After a day or two of rest, you can get in and > >drive > >away like nothing was ever wrong, and you won't have to worry about it > >for > >another 2 or 3 months, maybe even longer. > > >The last time it gave us trouble, we disconnected the battery > >overnight. The > >next day everything was fine. Before, it seemed to have taken 2 or 3 > >days to > >fix itself. > > >The problem has actually went as long as 9 months with no problems, > >but here > >in the last couple months, it has messed up twice. This last time, the > >battery was > >disconnected overnight, and still the problem persists. > > >I'm looking for a logical explanation of why this tranny would act > >this way. > > >Ty > > >Please CC your responses to me directly. Thank you.
Reply to
Ty

I have a 1996 continental and my transmission is acting up. I was driving on the freeway this morning on my way to work and the transmission just went out. I have never had any problems with this transmission. I was going about 55 miles per our and then it just disengaged all by it self. Prior to this everything has been fine it was driving just fine and with no warning it stoped working there are no leaks and the fluid look great. I had to have it towed home and I checked the relay box and its working ok. I don't understand what is going on with this car. Can some one please help me with a logical explanation. When I start the car and put it in any gear it seems like the fears are engaging I looked to see if the silver rod under the hood that move the gear was working and i see that it is working just fine I think that the signal isn't getting to the inside of the transmission any help will be greatly appreciated

this thread:

jeromethompson

On 10/8/2013 3:37 PM, jeromethompson wrote:> I have a 1996 continental and my transmission is acting up. A local tranmission shop me these transmissions contain marginal components that will wear out by about 85000 miles. I guess it is time for a rebuild.

Reply to
Steve Stone