Re: 1999 Crown Vic Stalling Problem

sounds similiar to a problem I have posted below in "windstar stall on start", mine did start doing it on a rainy day, what could that mean?

Hello Petebert, I couldn't find any information included with your message Did I miss something?. What was your problem, and how did you solve it?
Ed Codd
Petebert wrote:

Petebert, Why are you putting your foot on the gas pedal to begin with? I have started it as many as 10-15 times, only to have it stall out as soon as I lift my foot off the gas. It will run ok if I keep my foot on the gas . With the electronic ignition, you shouldn't have to touch the pedal to start it. Just curious, John
Edward Codd wrote:

i put my foot on the pedal when it fires, if not it stalls, normally it acts like a fuel injected engine should and runs when you turn the key

Petebert wrote:

Hello Petebert, In your first reply, you said you posted a problem in "windstar stall on start", but I couldn't find it. Can you tell me what your problem was, did you get it fixed, and what was the fix?
Also to Chowrunner, the only reason I keep my foot on the gas is to keep it from stalling. When the problem isn't there, the car will start without touching the gas pedal.
Ed Codd
Petebert wrote:

i posted mine on the 23rd, I havent found a cause or resolution yet , it hasnt done it for the last 2 days, I replied to yours because you mentioned something about moisture and mine happened on a rainy day.
haynes manual says to check wires at distributor, coil or alternator. intake manifold vacuum leaks poor fuel pressure and fuel injection or engine control malfunction as possible causes

You would think if all those items are possible solutions, that somewhere a code would be set that could be read with a decoder and give you somewhere specific to look. John
Petebert wrote:

Chowrunner, Good suggestion about the codes. I'll ask my Ford mechanic, although he did say that without the check engine light coming, or if he didn't have it while the problem existed, he didn't thinkthere would be any codes stored.
Ed Codd
Chowrunner wrote:

Check the IAC motor, that is the Idle Air Control motor. Sounds like the engine is not getting enough air at idle and is being flooded as the computer commands more gas for a cold engine.

Thanks Mercon. I'll add that to my list of things to have checked. he car has been running great for the last few days, which compounds the problem Ed Codd
"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

Mercon, I've checked with a Mercury dealer in my neighborhood, and the service department thinks that the IAC is the most likely thing to be faulty. However, since the problem is intermittent, there's no guarantee that changing the part will fix the problem. The part costs about $50-60, and to have them fix it will cost $150.
Here are my questions. Is this something the average guy can replace with just a few common tools--screwdrivers, open-end wrenches, vise grips,etc.? Where is the IAC located? Is it accessible by opening the hood?
What do you think?
Ed Codd
"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

Ed, I do believe the IAC is quite simple to replace.The most you will need is the right size socket drive, and a scraper. The IAC is located near the start of the upper intake manifold throttle body. Once you obtain the replacement part, you will know what it looks like and spot it quite easily. It is held in place by two bolts/screws. . In addition to the new IAC, you will also need a new gasket ....Disconnect the negative battery terminal. You may need to remove the air cleaner inlet tube. Disconnect the electrical connector to the IAC valve, remove the two bolts/screws, clean away the old gasket from the mating surface on the intake manifold. Position the new gasket in place with the new IAC and replace the two bolts/screws. Tighten to 71 - 106 inch pound(..note inch pound..), DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, ..reconnect the electrical connector. Reconnect the negative battery terminal. Now you are ready for the test drive. Please let us know how things work out.
VB.