Re: 2001 Windstar Dripping water out exhaust

> > Dean Caudle wrote: >> >> What might this mean? Very clear liquid, had run the air conditioning if >> this would matter. Thanks for any help!! >> >> Dean > > Internal combustion engines create water when running.

It doesn't create water, the water is already in the air it takes in for combustion in the form of humidity. That humidity just condenses in the exhaust as it cools. Live in a very humid area, you get a fair amount of water out the exhaust, live in a dry climate you get less.

The > water is created in the form of steam. However until the > exhaut system heats up, the water will condense in the cool > muffler and liguid water can and does run out the exhaut. > After the muffler heats up, the water vapor doesn't condense > and exits the exhaust system as steam. > > Ed
Reply to
pick one

Certainly some of the water in the exhaust comes from the water vapor in the air. However, more is created when you burn gasoline. After all, this is how you get the energy out. You are convreting a hydrocarbon (hydrogen + carbon) fuel into water (H20), Carbondioxide (CO2), some other stuff (CO, NOX, etc) and energy. The amount of water created by combining ozygen and hydrogen in most cases is greater than the vapor included with the intake charge.

Try looking at

. I'll net it out. For each gallon of gasoline you burn, you'll create somewhere around 1 gallon of water. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Interesting thanks for the link.

Reply to