Re: 2002 windstar or taurus wagon?

2002 windstar or taurus wagon? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2003, 12:53am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@columbus.spam.com (boss351)
We're looking to buy a used Taurus wagon or a Windstar. We've looked at several other options and have pretty much narrowed it down to one of these two. My wife likes both of them, so I need to get some more info before making any descissions. Both are large enough for our family, but I some people on this list have some idea which one has a better service record, resale, etc.
Also, is the Vulcan or the Duratec engine more reliable? I want the Duratec for the extra hp, but I'm not sure if it's more prone to mechanical problems. Thanks, Brian<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Get the Duratec. My '99 sedan has one and it's been flawless. Still as strong & responsive as day one.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.spam.com says...

The Windstar has had transmission problems, even within the past few years. It's 3.8L engine has much higher torque, and the transmission is hard pressed to handle it. I believe it's the same transmission used in the Taurus/Sable, and has problems with the greater weight and power.
The Taurus/Sable don't seem to have any widespread transmission problems anymore. The peak was back in '92 or so with the 3.8L when they changed the forward clutch piston from steel to aluminum. Ford has made many changes, especially with a change back to steel in 2000.
Unless you need the towing capacity or the extra interior height, the Taurus/Sable sound more reliable, and would be cheaper, too.