Re: 300 I-6 timing gear

Hey, all, I have an old Ford dump truck with a straight 6 300 (it's an

> F-500 from 1970). I got it used a few years ago and it knocked pretty > badly and finally threw a rod yielding a viewport on the side of the > block. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one from a machine shop > I've had good luck with in the past. I don't use it often, it > probably has less than 1,000 miles on the engine but it's past the 12 > month warranty. Recently it quit running, leaving me on the side of > the road. Today I tore into it and found the phenolic timing gear was > stripped of all but 5 teeth. This wouldn't bother me so much except I > had a 1986 F-150 with the 6 in it strip that gear. That was an old > engine and I found that the oil pump pickup tube had some junk in it > and I ASSUME that junk was sufficient to block the oil pump and strip > the timing gear (which drives the cam which drives the vertical shaft > which drives the oil pump and the distributor). I hate coincidences > and this bothers me; two gears on basically the same engine, one used > (that one in the old F-150), one new (the rebuilt engine in the > F-500). What's worse is that I checked the pickup tube on the rebuilt > engine just because I had that past experience. > > Has anybody got a, "Oh, hey, here it's this!" answer to the problem? > Any pointers on what I should look at or for? I don't want to replace > the gear without understanding what caused the failure because it > could happen again all too easily. > > Thanks for your help and advice. > > --HC

That was not an uncommon problem in the 300I6. The solution is to replace with an alloy timing gear. I have one in an 82 F250, the phenolic gear lasted about 180k and was still useable but I replaced it when I rebuilt the motor.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave D