Re: 67 Ranchero

Page 1 of 3
Thanks - here's an update... ----------------------------------------------------- I wanted to share our restoration project - "LANE". Lane is the name my son
has chosen for his 1967 Ford Ranchero 500XL, 289, C4, all the parts are there and she is finally at home!
You can visit her HERE - http://www.my67ranchero.com /
We will be documenting the whole restoration project on this web site, so check back every now and then and see what we've done on "Lane" - she's a sweet little ride that we are excited to have in our family of cars.
Have you kissed your BlueOval car today? Maybe you should!?!?
-- TAZ
PS - Lane is from the middle English meaning "from the narrow path or road" and has been used for both male and female names.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto! That is a beauty, exactly the model I'd want to restomod for a daily driver.
you pay..DEAL with it!
swim man ~W-D (aka) "White Will" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

24 years WOW and in this wellpreserved condition Must say you did the restorers dream find here Regards Nightmare

Nightmare wrote:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or sincere. It looks like once a good cleanup is done to remove the tree sap and moss (?) the car will actually be pretty darn solid. It's certainly going to take some work, but it is apparently mostly cosmetic and soft parts.
Ya, I think 24 years and this condition, not too shabby. Best of all, everything is still there. Sarcastic or not, I appreciate the commentary as I have seen many more cars, younger than this, in way worse condition taken on as restoration projects. We felt very fortunate to have found this one in such good condition.
We recently hand cranked the engine to find that it spins extremely well. Using a remote starter switch we turned it over. Even the starter worked!
So far; 3 of 4 headlights work brake lights and taillights work driving lights work starter turns engine over nicely axles all spin, not freely, but easily steering works well from what we could tell tailgate latches are in good condition and they work fine left door has a stiff hinge right door works well, no stiffness Hood opened first time we tried once we got it on level ground
Sadly, the horns did not work. <sigh>
What's it need; nearly everything, but we have all the parts, and a lot of resources to get replacement parts as needed.
Our next steps are the fuel system and getting new locks for the doors and ignition. The widow cannot locate the keys and a locksmith was unsuccessful in making keys. The pins are worn down too much. No biggie, for $65 total I have all I need to correct that issue.
The objective it to get it's engine in running order. Judging from the color of the oil, it is in good condition. The transmission is FULL of fluid, thus the likelihood of a static leak is low, but we will be rebuilding it all through the project. Short term goals are assessment of condition, fixing the obvious problems that would keep it off the road. We'd like to drive it around the circle here at home. Just once...
Since the car sat under some very large pine trees, it only saw sunlight on the front, thus the faded paint and rust on top. The trees provided a lot of shade as well as being an umbrella from much of the rain. Plus, it is a California car, non-coastal, so it hasn't any idea what salt is either.
Overall, a great find! We are thoroughly enjoying the work we have done so far and are excited to do more.

nope not sarcastic just amazed that is still possible to find some godd restoration objects like this one Regards Nightmare

Didn't think so - check the site from time to time - I am redesigning the site and am still posting updates as to the progress, etc.
Thanks so much!
-- TAZ

Nightmare wrote:

I thought so, but with text it's sometimes hard to tell the "tone" of a comment. Yes, this will be an interesting restoration of a really cool car.I don't recall ever seeing a Ranchero XL in person. In years past I've owned a number of Galaxie and Fairlane XLs.
Yes, I got quite lucky overall... we expect it to be running in the next 4 weeks.
We are changing the ignition components over the next 2 weeks, ignition switch in a week.
It's fun!

So you mean the engine is in good condition too? Just makes me even more amzed I've visited the site and downloaded the videos and it really gave me an itch,finding a car like that and well,plenty of work but no mayor rust issues at least what the videos wiewed,and restore it. Wish you a good time restoring this beauty Regards Nightmare

Watch for more videos - just got a new digital camcorder, so we will be putting little snippets of the engine spinning, etc. very soon.
Ya, I was totally shocked it spun so easily. At first I was telling my son "Well, the engine is probably shot so we'll need to pull it out, tear it down, blah, blah, blah..." - maybe not!
Glad you're enjoying the site and videos too - more to come as we progress along. I hate "blogs" and prefer just a really nice web site so that is what I am doing.
L8r, TAZ

Prefer sites like yours too those blogs nothing great with them at all Really looking forward for the next vidoes And hearing the engine running music to my ears Regards Nightmare PS English is not my main language so excuse if my grammar is bad

No apologies necessary - the love of Ford cars is our language here...
Ya, I did not get as much done as I wanted this long weekend. Next weekend I am away at a class, so we will be doing small bits in the evenings. I now have most of the replacement ignition parts ready to install. Looking for a carburetor rebuild kit or a rebuilt one. According to the manual the one that is on there is an Autolite 2200 v-2. Also need to put in a new fuel pump and replace the fuel filter(s).
More to come...
Hey, would it be good to set up a small mailing list for folks so I can just send a quick note to all who are interested when I make updates or take another step in our progress? Easy for me to do and happy to do it if anyone is interested.
-- TAZ

1 Shot = 1 Kill wrote: . Looking for a

Your carb is a 2100, used in varying configurations on Ford products for about......well, almost forever. It's one of the easiest carbs to rebuild. I did a quick search but couldn't find a kit. I did find this though. Ebay item 190005102502 This would probably do you until you can get the original rebuilt. Be careful of the choke heat tube running down to the exhaust manifold. It's probably really brittle (rust) at the manifold if not broken already. Since the car has set for so long I'd like to offer a few suggestions before you fire it up. 1. prime the oil system by removing the distributor and spinning the oil pump with a drill. You'll have to make a shaft to attach to the pump drive. That motor will be very dry and starting it like this can do a lot of damage. (fresh oil and filter, of course). Squirt a little oil into each cylinder and turn the engine by hand about 10 revs. 2. Run the engine from a container of clean fuel piped to the fuel pump inlet. After this amount of time you don't want to suck the trash in the tank and lines into the fuel system. Have the tank flushed (and lined if necessary) before using it for fuel. 3. Flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat and hoses before starting the engine. This will head off surprises that will take the fun out of bringing the engine to life after it's long nap. 4 Be prepared for oil and coolant leaks. The seals in the motor are quite old and have likely dried out.
Good luck and keep us posted.

These are great suggestions. I would add that Autozone will loan you he oil pump spin tool (perfect fit, I've used it) and that the carb kit should be available at Autozone, Checkers or one of the other discounters. Good luck. I'm looking for an old Ranchero myself! jor
jor wrote:

Duh, sometimes I kinda miss the obvious. AZ shows a GP-Sorensen kit for $12. A gallon of Berryman carb dip and you'll be in business. You;ll need the number off of the carb tag, it's mounted to one of the front top cover screws.
I know this is premature but I'll mention it. The choke heat tube was always a trouble spot on Ford carbs. It drew hot air from the right exhaust manifold to heat up the choke spring. They would always rust off at the manifold. There were kits available to repair the connection that sorta worked. I found out long ago that you can use an electrically heated housing from a 70s Ford carb connected to the "S" terminal of the alternator and eliminate the troublesome heat tube (unless you're going for 100% original). File this away for later if you think it may be useful.
UPDATE: The carb had no tag, so I simply ordered a rebuilt one. I haven't got a lot of time to tinker with rebuilding a carb, so it was easier to just order one.
I also ordered the rest of the ignition parts I will need to get it running. We are changing the oil this week, swapping out the carbs, replacing points, condenser, fuel pump and will feed gas from a remote tank, not the car's tank as we do not know what is in there. We just want to hear it run for a moment.
If we achieve that goal, everything else will be FUN!
The news will posted onto out site late this week, definitely by Sunday since we will likely not get to turning over until then.
Thanks to all for the advice, guidance and support - we are having a blast with the car.
-- TAZ

1 Shot = 1 Kill wrote:

underside of the vehicle looks like. Surely you inspected everything. Could you briefly mention the state of the frame, floor panels and shock towers?

Still looking?
I have a 79 I need to get rid of.
if interested, reply to my email.
Carl K