Re: 85 LTD CrownVic Stalls

Does your engine have individual injectors, one per cylinder; or is this a TBI (just two injectors inside a throttle body)? The latter would not have
an IAC, but a servo-motor which controls the throttle idle stop. They have a switch at the tip which likes to go bad, resulting in the computer not knowing that you took your foot off the accelerator. It could also be a vacuum leak, an EGR valve that won't close, or a bunch of other reasons. Do yourself a favor and read the trouble codes first before guessing. All you need is a paper clip and possibly a test light.

that
Oh, duh... I didn't even think of the TBI unit... I'm so used to my '87 Crown Victoria (Multiport EFI) giving me fits lately, but I also have a 1984 Grand Marquis which is TBI EFI.

I just checked the idle control unit, that has a plunger which contacts the throttle lever. It's mounted on the driver's side of the TBI.
It's connected by a vacuum line to a solenoid; no servo motors, no electrical connections.
The solenoid is connected to a manifold port. The solenoid also has two wires connected to it. They disappear into a harness.
I disconnected the vac line on the idle control, connected a length of hose and pulled a vacuum. The plunger immediately extended about 1/8." That was after giving the plunger a hit of carb cleaner. Does 1/8" sound right?
Does anyone know how to test the solenoid and its two electrical connections? Do any readers know where it gets its signal(s) from?
Question for IK: How do I use a paper clip and test light to pull trouble codes? I'm not familiar with obtaining Ford read-outs.
I appreciate everyone's suggestions!
TD
That's quite the site. I'm hoping that the OUTPUT STATE TEST, will show if the throttle positioner's controlling solenoid, is part of, or, is the problem.
Thanks TD
Howdy:
Our CV is back on the road. The old, idle speed screw trick, should keep it running until the new throttle positioner arrives.
TD