Re: 91 mustang question

--= PauLy =-- opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.cfl.rr.com:

Hello Group, I have a '91 mustang convertible... Long story short: a > piece of the metal top structure is broken (can't be repaired) must be > replaced... > > I have to get this thing fixed ASAP, I live in FL and rainy season is > going to start up in a month or so... luckily it's only rained about 2x > in the last 2 months... > > I'm not sure exactly what to do, or where to go (to have it fixed, > etc)... or even what my options are. >
87 - 93 Mustang convertibles arent exactly "scarce". Which means there should be plenty of them in salvage yards.. you dont have to replace with new, esp if it's in the top frame mechanics

Also a trip to the yellow pages would be a good start... Auto's repair and

auto parts - used

Here's how you find info.. you call one place and if they cant help, you ask if they know of someone who can.

and a search of newsgroups would yield:

rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

which probably could get you a direct answer as to where to go with your problem

also

a lot of links to mustang vendors and clubs. thee will be a club in you area and some of them will be able to help you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I find your handle in bad taste and immature... and it come to mind that if you focussed less on your crotch, you might be able to think more clearly and would have figured out the answer for youself. /opinion

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thank you

I've had this email address for a very long time (at least 5 years). Unfortunately Everyone I know (and those who i've lost contact know me at this address). It has nothing to do with my crotch, or anything sexual... Stupid? Immature? yeah, I agree.

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

Any convertible top shop should be able to fix it. I know there are a few sections on GM folding tops frames that are welded together. Did a weld break?

Did a cable break? Did a piviot joint break? Maybe you just lost a bolt out of something and you only think its broke when it may not be broke.

Just because something broke for the top should not effect the performance of the vehicle. If one of the lock down clamps broke, well that would be a problem .

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~279, 495 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

No. (hard to explain exactly which part) I wish I had a digi-cam. Over a year ago a screw fell out causing the top not contract/expand correctly. I didn't see the missing screw right away, So I tried forcing the top to latch (it took a hammer & 3 ppl pulling & pushing) and BOOM, it cracked a piece of the structure and bent it some. As soon as I got it latched, I noticed the screw missing (nut/bolt I mean), found a replacement, and realized the damage I caused. DOH! So for a year or so I mainly left the top up, because it is a royal pain in the ass to latch it. It takes 2 people (one to pull, one to push & latch at same time) just to latch the right side. The weather has been perfect the last 2 months I started putting it down for long periods of time.. Now for some odd reason nothing works to latch it.

There is such stress (when its latched) from the right side I have a HUGE crack in my windshield, at first started off as a 3 vertical crack, after a week 5 inches, now its 5 inches vertical curved left for an additional 14 inches... (HUGE)... OT: I thought this would have me pulled over and fined.. nope, police don't seem to care (been pulled over for other things meanwhile and nothing was said).

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

If the top isn't latching right then the top frame is out of adjustment. Or you badly bent it when forcing it. If your header bar ( The bar that locks to the windshield header ) had guide pins sticking down, they should be centered over the guide holes in the windshield header. If they are off center 1/2 " then you won't lock it down.

Do you know about shrinkage ? As the temperatures drop at night and you try to put the top up at night it can be very difficult to lock the top down, thats because the top material is more taut and can't stretch like it does when the sunny is beating down on it.

I'm not sure where this nut / bolt is that you lost. I seem to remember an adjusing set screw at the first hinge point between the first & second rail. I can't remeber exactly what it adjusted, it might of just been the angle of the front side rail.

Another point that may have lost the top alignment is where the rear of the frame work is bolted into the body behind the rear seat.

Top work is very hard to do and is best left to a professional. I'd say to have a shop check it out that works on tops.

The type of strain you have on your lock latches may be enough to break the latch hooks right off the handles. Then we'll see you driving down Main Street with a nine inch wide band of grey duct tape across the front edge of the top & windsheild.

good luck.