Re: 92 3.8L Taurus ECM

"Curtis Burh" wrote:

The computer is behind the glove box. But i will bet its not the problem. If your engine was in and out, something probably got disturbed. Change your ECT sensor. Note: this does NOT run the dash gauge.
Don't know you did your rebuild, but the heads are particular about a good finish for a good seal. Did a reputable machine shop check the heads for straightness, cracks and decking finish? DId you pull the plugs and check for a difference in color between the cylinders? The headgasket monster may be back. Sniff you exhaust when its hot and this is happening. Does it smell sweet? Any white vapor? If it does, you have found your problem.
BOB
BOB URZ" <"sound(remove) wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Where is the ECT and what is it? If it's not a major effort and price, I will replace or clean it. At least I'll have one less variable to contend with.
The heads were completely reworked by a reputable shop. 10k miles after the rebuild, I had the engine analyzed at a highly rated garage. That's when they changed the O2 sensors after reading the codes. I have to assume they did at least what you are recommending and hopefully more.
I'm fairly certain there is no coolant in the exhaust. I know there's none in the oil. I don't see much or any vapor as you mentioned. Cold weather tends to bring on some white exhaust but I don't see anything unusual compared to the rest of my fleet.
Thanks again!
"Curtis Burh" wrote:

ECT= Engine coolant temperature sensor drivers side on the end of the block.
Check all vacuum hoses for cracks or leaks. Clean the butterflies of your intake manifold. Clean out your IAC (Idle control valve) You might want to change the TPS.
BOB

I would add to check your fuel pressure, and learn to check your codes yourself, its a DIY item, here is a useful link:
http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

contend
the
they
none
The Bathtub Admiral wrote:

Thanks very much for this link. I can see that the ECT has a two digit code (21 & 61) I can test for. Although the sensor is only $15, I'd rather test it before replacement.
I did change the fuel filter but haven't tested the pump for pressure.
In addendum, it is a little difficult for me to produce the power problem at will that my daughter has always complained about. I'm sure this is why the garage did not find and fix the problem. They did tell me there were several transmission codes but felt they were ultimately there because of the sporadic engine performance problem I described.
Kind regards
You will have 3 digit codes on that particular year.

code
at
the
several
BOB URZ" <"sound(remove) wrote:

I'm very grateful for your help Bob! Thanks for taking the time to reply.
The garage did a procedure called a "motor vac". I don't know the value of this but it was supposed to have cleansed the engine from the intake through the muffler. I realize flushing a chemical through the system can't be as effective as disassembly and scrubbing so I'll look into cleaning the butterfly, IAC and and testing the TPS.
Kind regards.