Re: 97 taurus driving "growl"

Motor mount.

My 97 taurus has started making a speed-dependant "growl" coming from the > front passenger side. Changes pitch with speed, anything over 25mph, with a > steering wheel vibration starting from 45mph. The noise quiets down quite a > bit after 65-70mph. > > I thought it might be a wheel bearing, but in my experience, those start off > quiet, and get louder over time, wheras this just started right away. > > Any ideas? > > Cheers > Tony > >
Reply to
Doc

Check the wheel bearing again. If you steer gently to the left and/or right does it go away? If it started suddenly and didn't just grow louder over time, there is a slight chance that one of the bearing races cracked - but that's not very common. The motor mount is also a possibility. Have you checked the exhaust system and hangars?

Reply to
Sandy Hawes

Thanks for the replies...

It doesn't go away with steering left or right, it is totally speed dependant though, and is still there if I shut off the motor in neutral, so I don't think it could be a motor mount or exhaust...... plus there is a very high frequency steering vibration (also gets faster with speed).

I'm stumped..

Reply to
Me

CV joint?

Reply to
Ampdoc

Don't forget the tires.....They can make terrible noises, especially if it needs rotation or is separating. (which would explain the vibration)

Reply to
Scott M