Re: 98 ford f150 4.2 truck sounds like it's running on 4 spark plugs

It's not clear from your posting whether the new coil pack solved the problem or not. Guess you wouldn't be asking for advice if it did... As for your scanner, are you sure it told you the coil pack was bad? Those things just read trouble codes. It takes much more than that to decide what's actually wrong and what part to replace. Perhaps it was a human scanner that works in a parts store that told you to replace that coil pack? Do post the numeric code here. Someone will sure offer advice.

check my it with the auto scanner it said it was the coil pack > put a new coil pack on did solf this problem.
Reply to
Happy Traveler

I'd be interested in knowing what code has us replace any part without some sort of testing to verify that it is the part at fault. Too many times, I see a DIYer replace hundreds of dollars worth of parts needlessly.... sometimes leaving a chain of problems in his wake. Spread connector pins and pierced insulation can be the hardest to find - especially when someone has been probing wires with no rhyme or reason.

I'm all for a DIYer saving himself some money, but we need to have some sense when we're working on these things....

Had one in the shop last week... F150 for a no start after a stereo and subwoofer install..... It wasn't hard to find the body wiring harness (the,uhhhh, $1600 body wiring harness ) that got drilled through. After the wiring repairs, it still wouldn't start and displayed some of the oddest symptoms we have ever seen. KOEO, the vapour management valve (purge valve to some) would "pulse" rapidly and the theft light would blink in time. Unplug the VMV and the electronic throttle control motor would start pulsing... again, joined by a synchronized blinking of the theft light.

A day and a half later, we found the cut wire in the left door sill bundle.... "Oh, yeah.... I guess I should have mentioned that....". Lessee.... 12 hours at 95 bucks plus GST....

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's $1,600 in Canuckistani money - How much in real US money? ;-P (Yeah, not much less... One thing you do NOT want to break.)

Oh Sheeee******..... I certainly hope that the bill went to the right party - IE the person with the 'smoking side-cutters' in their hand that actually screwed it up THAT bad.

(I'm leaving open the possibility that the owner had a "helper" or two working with him that did those brain-dead deeds.)

Rule Number One when using a drill or self-drilling screw on a car: What is on the other side of that panel? Wiring harness? Brake line? The gas tank? Airbag sensor?

Before working on anything technical you have to consider two things: How easy is it to fix? Often, that part isn't too bad...

But you also have to consider the "Screw-Up Potential". The first person to utter the deadly phrase "So what could go wrong?" gets it. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman