Re: A War on Horsepower?

Page 2 of 2
Lloyd wrote:

Bingo. Wow- Lloyd and I agree! Mark this date! :-)
Seriously, putting more gears in the gearbox, cleaning up aerodynamics, AND the advent of the locking torque convertor are worth far more than EFI and weight reduction (which hasn't really happened anyway) combined.
Rodan wrote:

I don't know where you get THAT idea. Curb weights on comparable class (ie midsize or fulsize) vehicles have stayed similar or actually gone UP due to all the mandated safety equipment. My wife's 1993 v6 powered car (Eagle Vision) actually weighs a couple hundred pounds more than my 1973 v8 powered car (Plymouth Satellite). But it does get about 10 mpg better, thanks to a locking torque convertor, an extra gear in the transmission, and electronic engine and transmission management.
Steve turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Exactly.
I was reading recently about the 1987 Honda Civic Si, which gets something like 45MPG.
The 2008 Civic only gets 35MPG.
The difference is that the '87 car weighs 1000 lbs less due to all the extra safety gear in the '08 car.
The honda tech guy was quoted as saying, "rook! Godzirra!"
Oh, wait - I meant, he was quoted as saying, "I wouldn't want to get in an accident in the '87 model."