Re: Alternative to replacing heater core in 1989 Taurus GL?

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Ashton Crusher at snipped-for-privacy@moore.net wrote on 2/10/09 8:45 PM:

get a heater that plugs into the cig lighter and use your alternator to power it as needed ...
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:30:30 -0800, "Alan B. Mac Farlane"

Do you thank you could heat the interior of a car with a toaster?
That is the most ridiculous suggestion I ever heard, the don't make a 12V toaster. Beside you would need more than one. ;)
wrote on 2/10/09 8:45 PM:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:40:10 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

That's my point. A Toaster is about 1500 watts and draws 12 amps hooked to 120 house current. If you had a REALL long extension cord and you put that in your car you wouldn't expect it to do much. If you had a cigarette lighter plug heater the most you would want to draw would be 15 amps. At 12 volts that's only going to get you 180 watts of heat. Not even close to what you'd get from a toaster and I think we agree a toaster won't do much to warm the inside of a car..a little plug in 12 v heater will do essentially nothing but drain the battery.

You guys are overthinking the issue - All he needs is a cigarette lighter and a stop for a Grande Burrito Meal at Taco Bell and the heat will be fine...
IYM
in article gn3qs0$e15$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org, IYM at s u N snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote on 2/13/09 5:05 AM:

well if the cig lighters can start a flame ... with just a few seconds of alternator/battery juice ... just think what 12 volts will do over 15 minutes with a car heater we get off the shelf ... in the subartic rain forest we have to deal with.
Up on the Ice Road ... they can plug in BOOT WARMERS if they like in to the cig lighters ... and keep their feet warm even if the hot water heaters core shuts down.
sumbuddie wear blind sea
:?

Most motorcycle shops sell electric vests. They only draw 2 amps at 12 volts.
Steve R.