Re: Any tips for changing timing belt 96 Escort?

I am gonna be changing mine in a week or two. Does anyone have any tips

>to save time or headaches? > >Thanks in advance

Yeah, try this from my '97 Ford Repair CD. My guess is that the procedure should be pretty much the same for the '96 Escort. BTW, I agree that as long as you're in there... I'd replace the water pump as well. My '97 has 95K on it and I've already bought the belt and water pump. I'm just trying to schedule the time to do the job after I fix a driveability issue. Good luck.

Greg remove "rider" to respond directly

Timing Belt

Removal

  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable; refer to «Section
414-01».

  1. Remove the drive belt (8620) and the drive belt tensioner (6B209); refer to «Section 303-05».

  2. Remove the (A) three nuts and the (B) three bolts and remove the outer engine front cover.

  1. Raise and support the vehicle; refer to «Section 100-02».

  2. Remove the RH engine splash shield.

  1. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and the crankshaft pulley.

  2. Align the timing marks.

  1. Remove the timing belt. 8.1 Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt. 8.2 Use an 8 mm Allen wrench and turn counterclockwise 1/4 turn. 8.3 Insert a 1/8 inch drill bit to lock the timing belt tensioner in place. 8.4 Remove the timing belt.

  2. Inspect the belt for signs of oil leakage.

Installation

  1. Note: Install the timing belt over the sprockets in a counterclockwise direction starting at the crankshaft. Keep the belt span from the crankshaft to the camshaft (6250) tight while installing the timing belt over the camshaft. Install the (A) timing belt and remove the (B) 1/8 inch drill bit to release the (C) timing belt tensioner.

  1. Tighten the timing belt tensioner bolt.

  2. Roll the engine over two times and recheck the timing marks.

  1. Install the crankshaft pulley.

  2. Install the RH engine splash shield.

  1. Lower the vehicle; refer to «Section 100-02».

  2. Install the outer engine front cover.

  1. Install the drive belt tensioner and drive belt; refer to «Section 303-05».

  2. Connect the battery ground cable; refer to «Section 414-01».
Reply to
Greg

Thanks much it answers a couple of questions I had. My Chilton is not good with little details. I think I will do the water pump and hoses whiles it is drained; they are a little flimsy and it gets wicked hot here.

mpomario