Re: Anyone own a Lincoln Mark VIII?

It's very uncommon for the Mark VIII transmission to fail at that low mileage. The only real weakness in the trans is the 1-2 accumulator piston which most owners change right after they buy the car. It was
upgraded to the "improved" design in '97 or '98 (the last year the car was made). Early trans failure on this car is usually caused by not changing the fluid & filter AT LEAST every 30,000 miles (like most cars).
Don Noble wrote:

No problems on my 1994 other than leaks which were repaired under warranty. 150,159 miles and still going, even without the accumulator piston change out. Although it could use them I guess. Good luck on getting Ford to fix it.

Yes, we talk about that a lot on the Toyota newsgroup. Dad, however, takes all 3 of his vehicle on the manufacturers service intervals. He bought it pre-owned with 19,000 miles and of course you never know how owner #1 treated it in that short interval.