Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

wrote:

Most, if not all, new car dealers make more profit from their service operations then from sales. The more often you can get people into the shop the more services you can sell them. If you look at the "recommended service interval" posters on any dealers service area walls you will see recommendations that are for much shorter intervals then is called for in the owners manual for the vehicles they sell.
When the transmission when out on one car I had at 24,000 the dealer said he didn't think he could cover it under the warranty because I didn't change the transmission fluid at the recommended interval and pointed to the shop wall - 15,000 miles. When I took the owners manual out of the glove compartment and pointed to the maintenance schedule that said 30,000 he shut up.

Ashton Crusher wrote:

You'll also see recommendations for profit center services that are totally unnecessary. Click and Clack describe one such service as the "Bilstein R-2000 Wallet Flush System."
It's a mind game in the service department, where they want people to feel that if they don't ante up and pay for the "recommended services" or go for the shorter intervals, that they're somehow cheap bastards that just don't care about their vehicles.
If a service department ever tries to sell me the wallet flush, and one Toyota dealer's service department did, then I never go back to that place again, because it's clear that they can't be trusted.

neglected or abused, or has had an internal coolant leak, can benefit from the flush. A well maintained vehicle in good repair?? Nope.
It's a tool. Properly used, a valuable one. You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to install finish nails, but it's still a very useful tool, in the right hands.