Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

> >Roy wrote: >> >> > So you'd spend fifty grand on a car, then abuse the engine. What a fukin >> > idiot. >> > >> At 50 grand tthe engine should stand up to extended oil changes. I ran my >> Z06 to 7,500 miles a couple of times. Wish I saved the lab slip on the oil. >> But shit, I'm a fukin idiot too. > >Whether your habits are idiotic or not depends on how long you expect to >keep the car. The average new car buyer sells or trades in his car long >before the extended oil changes make any difference that affects the >price he gets for the car. So for most new car buyers changing the oil >every 3000k is a waste of time and money as the only one who will >benefit is someone else who owns the car much later in its life. > Extended oil changes don't hurt the big players either. The car >manufactures certainly don't gain anything by contented used car buyers. >And the oil companies lose nothing because in all probability in the >long run the amount of oil used is proportionate to the miles traveled >no matter what the oil change intervals. Extended oil changes are like >taking up smoking - it certainly won't kill you right away.

There's no evidence that currently recommended extended intervals will ever hurt you. I've seen dozens of vehicles that got 6000 mile changes all their lives and were still running like fine watches when sent to the auction at 175K to 280K. And since the standard interval was 6000 there were many that didn't get in till past that on many occasions and it's never hurt them.

In fact it

will take a long long time before you see the negative consequences >(assuming you own the car at that point). > >-jim > >
Reply to
Ashton Crusher