Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

Andy wrote:

> >> So where is the proof that it hurt catalyitc converters? I'm not >> saying Amsoil doesn't use more ZDDP, just that I don't agree it hurts >> the catalyitic converter. > >The automakers demanded the phosphorus limit be put in place by API >because phosphorus will shorten the life of the catalytic converter. The >amount of phosphorus going through the converter depends a lot on how >much oil the engine burns. > >See "
"> >Since there are plenty of synthetics and non-synthetics that meet the >API levels, there is no reason to risk using a non-API certified oil.

And the reason it is (or was initially) only mandated on the thinner grades of oil is PARTLY that they are more likely to be consumed, and PARTLY because the thicker oil does not depend as much on the EP additive to protect the engine.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca