Re: Brake Drum Removal, '89 Taurus

removing the hub. you might have to take a hammer to it.
"Robin M. Blind" wrote

Looks like a "tab washer". Instead of the old "castle" with a cotter pin through it and a hole in the axle, this one indexes in a slot in the axle, and the tabs bend over to lock the nut after you've torqued it. You *might* be able to bend the tabs down and reuse it, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's probably a "dealer-only" part too.
No need to remove the nut. Just pull outward on the drum to get it off the hub. Sometimes WD40 applied around the center hole at the hub helps to loosen the rusted interface.

"Scott M" wrote

Haynes (yeah, crap), as well as Autozone's on-line copy of Chilton's(?) manual says there should still be a cotter pin in an 89. Separate drum/hub in 90, unless someone put on some later parts, or Ford ran out of 89 parts in the factory, or the car is actually a 90.

Its wouldnt be the first time Ford changed brake parts in the middle of the year. It is also possible that the car was made in late 89 too. I bet if you called a Ford parts counter and asked for rear drums for a 89 Taurus they would want to know what month it was made :) Anyway, it sure looks like (from his pic) that the drums are removable.
Scott, you are absolutely right! The drums ARE removable without my having to mess with that axle nut. Yeah...it must be that the rear brakes configuration on my '89 is documented under 1990. Yup...they musta changed brake parts in the middle of the model year. Fun! Now that I'm past this confusion, I can take it as good news 'cuz at least I won't have to mess with resetting the bearing play. Thanks very much for your timely help.

there was no change in those years on the fords.. you read the book wrong... you were trying to remove the hub.... instead of the rear brake drum...... pretty easy mistake as in the old days you would remove the front hub anytime you did the brakes to repack the bearings with grease... you cant do that with these cars... the bearings (rear) are sealed and you have to replace the hub with the bearing in it, unless you go to a machine shop and get them to press the old one out and press a new one in....
"Robin M. Blind" wrote:

Well, I don't think so...but I'll look again later. Both the Haynes manual AND the OEM Shop manual I have show that, for 1989, there is a cotter pin/castellated nut configuration holding on the brake drum. Last night I looked again at the Haynes manual and it DOES say that, for years 1990 and after, the drum and hub are separate and all that is required to remove the drum is that you first remove the wheel. Of course, the OEM (Ford) Shop manual makes no mention of changes for the 1990 model year. But...are you saying that, even with the cotter pin arrangement, I would not have had to mess with the wheel bearing?